Wednesday, June 11, 2008

'rhea

If you are just about to eat or just barely ate, please skip this post. Be forewarned...

One of the grand things you can receive after arriving in Nepal is diarrhea. It's like a little present waiting to be had. A free souvenir if you will. It is only a matter of time before you make the 'rhea run.

For a couple of the kids they are on their second or third bout. Luckily, a friend of mine here filled me in on the difference between 'normal' diarrhea and 'see your doctor soon' diarrhea. I am thankful for the advice and I am watching closely, How fast do they run to the toilet? How often do they run to the toilet? Are they drinking enough water? Do they have a fever? What does it look like up close...(yum, that's the funnest one).

Bathroom runs have just been a part of life here in Nepal. I think the biggest problem is having babies that are constantly making leaky poops. Dona has had a constant diaper rash and there is no way to stop it. Just when I think I have it under control, she is screaming in pain yet again. Lately, I have just given up, Sedona now goes without diapers during the day. Nepali babies don't wear them and they are hard enough to find in the stores. So, there's my daughter just letting it fly...It is a humbling moment every time.



One day Heavah said she had to go to the bathroom while we were out and about. Worried about time, I asked her if it was #1 or #2. That is when she said, "It's #3 mom, you know, the one that is pooh, but it is really like pee." Poor thing.

Luckily, I have avoided the entire thing. I must have guts of steel cause it seems there is no way around it. So for now, while I am strong, I am the designated 'hand holder' and 'quick bathroom finder'...

2 comments:

Boquinha said...

ROTFL! I shouldn't laugh, but I love that Heavah's invented a whole new name for bodily, er, fluid.

Dr. Mark said...

Sometimes you just need one more way to describe things. I think I'll have to add #3 to the possibilities when talking to patients.