
I recently finished a book called, Into Thin Air. I knew very little about the climb up Everest and I thought I would read a personal account of the trek. It was a great read and I highly recommend it. I bought the book in Thamel, where the book begins, which is a cool place to visit if you want to see a real, live hard core trekker. They are everywhere in this small 'suburb' of Kathmandu.
Jon Krakauer provides a detailed description of his climb and a clear picture of what it takes to survive the mountain. His words are literally chilling at times and he provides vivid details of the journey to the top. In addition, he makes you intrigued to attempt the hike yourself, and at the same time, makes you believe that anyone who stepped foot on the mountain with the intent to reach the top is certifiably crazy. The book is intimate and methodical and it takes you up the mountain each step of the way.
I happened to watch Krakauer's Into the Wild movie and didn't care too much about a not-so-smart pothead who doesn't quite make it, but this book had skill, determination, and pure emotion all rolled into one. I believe it is worth the read, and I encourage anyone who has very little knowledge of the Sagarmatha ('goddess of the sky' in Nepali) ascend to give it a go...
No comments:
Post a Comment