Axel came home from work yesterday saying, "You'll never guess what is right around the corner from my work." As it turns out, there is this sweet old city just a very short drive/walk away. It is one of the 3 old Royal cities in the Kathmandu valley. The city itself was founded in the 3rd century B.C. and it contains more than 1,200 Buddhist monuments. The next day I took Sedona to daddy's work for lunch so we could explore the ancient city.
Ganesh or the 'Elephant Guy' according to my kids
Dona not too sure about being placed in a strange woman's arms
The place is a shopper's heaven! It seemed everywhere you turned there was an elderly woman or child ready to sell their goods. It was hard to explain that I wasn't a tourist and really I just wanted to find a restaurant and eat lunch. They were so desperate to sell me a trinket that they all sat outside, waiting for me to finish my food. The second we paid the bill, they were glued to me again. It wasn't until Axel passed out a few 20 Rupees they they finally left us alone. Ah, ha, it never occurred to me that a simple handout of .35 cents could end the harassment once and for all.
She had some really cute necklaces for about 5 bucks
A little man really happy to be in a photo with usWhat I especially loved about Patan were the Hindu carvings and statues. You gotta love the Hindus, they can come up with some crazyass stuff! I love it. I mean, is that really a psycho looking dragon eating two snakes??? And do they really believe that that Narasimha, the Man-Lion, will help them not be a pig in the next life? Whatever they think, it makes for some interesting pictures and fun souvenirs.
4 comments:
i found when i went to Haiti the people were like that too. It makes you sad to see how desperate some people are for any sort of monetary means. Your adventures sure show us all a different side of the world! By chance that god with the 4 arms....can he come and help me move? lol
Awesome, Terah. I love learning about different religions. There have been a couple of stories in the news about babies being born in that part of the world with several arms and how people are worshipping them as some sort of reincarnated Hindu goddess. I wonder what it is about so many arms?? Do you know?
Hi, I am new to your blog.. Celia Fae posted about you, and you know how popular she is in blogger land. Anyway, I am sure there will be LOTS of others visiting your site and I am sure we will ALL want to know exactly how and why you are where you are!!! It sounds facinating! Anyway, I am sure you have written it on your blog SOMEWHERE. Can you put a link to it on your side bar so we can see how you ended up there? THANKS!
Lindsey
Oh my, Terah, you're gaining major popularity!
Post a Comment