
Saturday is a special day cause it is the day we go to church here in Nepal. I am not sure why, and no one here really seems to have an answer for it. So it is. Therefore, it looks like we will be attending 'Saturday School' and having 'Fast Saturday'.
When we arrived at sacrament meeting, it was so bizarre seeing women in traditional sarees and men in Nepali caps. It was hard to believe it was our church. When the first speaker began her talk, Heavah turned to me and said, 'Wait! Mom, she is talking about Jesus!' I had to a admit, it was so unusual to see a Nepalese person bear their testimony and speak of Jesus' mission. Yet, at the same time although the dresses were different and the people looked different the spirit of the meeting was the same.
Most of the 100 members that normally attend are recent converts to the church. Others have been members for years. We have 3 missionaries out on a mission from Kathmandu. One in India, one at Temple Square, and one stateside (I forget which state). How awesome it is to see these people who have such a deep cultural and religious makeup accept Christ into their lives.
We have a Nepalese bishop who recently overcame the same brain tumor that Axel had. He went to Thailand for the surgery and then was sitting at the pulpit only a month later. Amazing man. Luckily, all other significant callings are filled by Nepalese members and the church is going strong. It is a privilege to be part of this branch. I am sure as time moves on I will have stories to share. I can't wait to get to know the people on a more personal level. At this point the challenge is that most of the members don't speak English. So I guess I need to learn Nepali.
When we were recapping what we had learned at church at the dinner table Heavah said, "Mom, you wouldn't believe how many things at church are the same here as they were in Dubai!" She was surprised and excited to see that although so much else around her had changed in her life, two things remained constant, our family and our faith.
5 comments:
that's so fascinating. I will never forget my first Sunday in Russia where I served my mission. It was just like that. I couldn't understand a word that was being said, but as the sacrement was blessed and passed, I was overwhelmed with the spirit and was amazed how it was the same there as it was back home.
How neat for your kids. Do they have missionaries there in Napal?
Saturday is a special day. It's the day we go ready for Sunday . . .
How did she know she was speaking about Jesus? Do you guys have translators? Or are the kids picking up Nepali already? How fluent are they in other languages, by the way?
Cute picture of the girls! Did you stock up on clothes for the next few years?!
I actually did, Lori, which ended up being pretty dumb cause any clothing they wear here is destined to be put in the garbage within no time.
Stacy, we are working on the language here. It seems that it isn't going to be the easiest language to learn. Sedona speaks fluent Indonesian and the older two completely understand it but don't care to speak it.
Post a Comment