Saturday, December 4, 2010

Andorra


Axel has a crazy goal of visiting over 100 countries in his lifetime. We have hit approximately 60 right now. What this means is if we go on a vacation anywhere he must research the neighboring countries and how far they are to reach. That is exactly what brought us to the small, underrated country of Andorra.
I must admit that when Axel told me he was determined to make the trek to Andorra, I rolled my eyes. I wasn't sure Andorra would have anything interesting to offer other than another tick on the country list. The best I was hoping for was a scenic ride through the Spanish countryside. Oh, and maybe a sheep herder or two.
The drive did not disappoint. There were jagged landscapes and vibrant fall colors everywhere. What delighted me the most were the small, abandoned villages nestled on the side of the mountains. My mind wandered as I thought about the last person to leave the village. What happened? What were they thinking? Did they ever imagine their home would crumble and never be inhabited again? Where did they go, and why? I've read too many Ken Follett novels.

Andorra was a pleasant surprise. It was quite the shopping paradise. Andorra's free port draws both Spain and France along with its winter and summer resorts. It is the Park City of Europe. We shopped, and shopped, and shopped, and shopped. I was astonished at how many clothing stores there were. Looking for shirts and shoes was a cinch but I had to search high and low for a household souvenir. I finally found something. It compliments my living room chair. You must visit to see it. It is awesome.



Our lunch was tapas. All of our dishes contained pork products. I know I talk a lot about pork, but you would too if you could barely utter the word p-i-g in the country you are living. Who knew the savory meat could taste sooooooo good?


The Andorrans have the second highest life expectancy in the world. They also have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world. Pretty impressive for a country that barely spots the map.

Truthfully, Andorra was the highlight of our trip. I think it was mainly because we have been so deprived of mountains, cold weather, and color. It also helps to keep your expectations really, really low.

4 comments:

Linsey said...

100 countries is ambitious, but if anyone will get there, it will be you guys. These pictures of Andorra are lovely, who knew?

Ryan and Brindi said...

wow what a gorgeous country! i love the beautiful, tree covered mountains. i am amazed you have already accomplished 60 countries and you are still both so young! you'll be done with the remaining 40 before retirement, then what will you do? :)

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

those sausages look amazing! Yummy. Looks like a fantabulous time...and I'm sorry Terah...I just don't know if I will ever see your home souvenir if I have to visit for that...although I suppose I'm not completely out altogether for a doha visit if I have to stop by on my way to a girlcation.

diplobrisco said...

Your pictures remind me of Sicily. If you ever go there I'll tell you where to go. Oh, it's breath taking.
Andorra, what beautiful little place! The food looks WAY good too. Tell me Terah, are you putting on ANY weight with all this good food? One thing saddens me though. How are you visiting all these places and NOT try their chocolate? Have you been to Austria, Germany? It would be a crime to go there and not eat their chocolate. :)