The Tree of Life.
This is the biggest painting I have ever done. The canvas alone cost like $125. I actually finished most of this one before we moved. I was going through a Klimt phase and I really liked his Tree of Life. He also did a portrait of a woman I really liked. So I took those two paintings and made this one. It is made with real gold leaf for the tree and border and the chair Terah is sitting on is silver leaf. Here is my explination of it. Terah and I are hugging after completing this life and walking on the Shining Path. We followed the Iron Rod and made it to the Tree of Life. On the other side is Terah on her throne after she has been found worthy. Presumably I am out working in the celestial fields or playing Celestial video games with my brothers... (actually I didn't have room and Terah is much more pleasing on the eye...)
Close up of us hugging.
Terah has some of the fruit from the Tree ready to eat it and we are hugging because we finally made it. On my cloak I have references to our lives. There are references to our four kids, the priesthood, our birth months, wisdom, love, and Heaven. See if you can find them if you are bored.
Close up of the Tree of life.
On top of the gold leaf I wrote in silver paint several things that are important to me. I used different alphabets to do so. I used Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Demotic, Hieratic (reformed Egyptian), Greek, Chinese, Runes, Elvish, and even Deseret. I even used a few other made up ones that are supposed to be the alphabet of the angels.
The Gates of Heaven.
This is the gates of Heaven being opened to us. The Celestial, Terrestial and Telestial are representated. The word is EMT or 'Emet' in Hebrew which means "Truth". It also contains the first letter of the Hebrew Alphabet (Aleph - or A for Axel) the middle letter of the Alphabet (Mem or M for Messiah) and the last letter of the Alphabet (Tav or T for Terah). So you could read it as my truth is Axel and Terah are joined through the power of Jesus and between the three of us we make up everything that is good and bad from begining to end in our lives..
Scale
Another small one (24X32). VG did a loads of religious overtones in his paintings and the Sower ones are fairly easy to think that they are missionaries doing their work. He thought of himself as a missionary for a new painting lifestyle. Gauguin killed that. He got the last laugh though, after his death his paintings became worth much more than Gauguin's and Gauguin tried several times to capitalize on his 'friendship' with VG later on. Too bad he was largely the reason for VG cutting off his ear! Another interesting thing to note is this is the painting that was stolen from Egypt just a few months back. I think it has been recovered.
This is another small one (24X32). I love how VG did the blue trees with the blue (lake?) in the background. And then the dominant sun shining through.
I call the below one "Hope" but that is not the name VG gave it. If you have ever seen this picture then you know it. It is such a great work showing insanity and saddness (it was of another patient when VG was in the asylum). I decided to make it a bit lighter with the colors and add a picture of Christ in the background. You decide what the guy is feeling, though I already have.
I have hesitated doing this one as it is so recognizable. But I did it on a medium sized oil color paper (30cm x 42) pad I have and it made it more managable. It was fun to paint. I am really surprised he didn't do more like it. He painted like 9 variations on his sunflowers. Why not more night skies?
Well, that is it for now. I have loads of more ideas. I am going to get into a Spanish artist painting kick next. There are a ton of paintings Terah and I saw in the MNAC that I want to do next. Honestly having nothing to do at night and on weekends is helping out my painting time!
6 comments:
Awesome! I really love the tree of life one. Thats awesome. I also like all your greek ones. Its great your so talented that way you can paint your own souvenirs. Think of all the money you can save. For the next generation of 3-D tvs. :)
Axel: Your work is beautiful. You have such a gift.
I really love the Tree of Life painting - all the symbols and meanings behind them. Beautiful!
interesting...the first thing I saw was the peace sign :) and then I realized there were 3 other hands and realized that was a 2 and the designated colors representing your children. I'm going to look closer in a little while. How long did that one take? It is huge and extensive and detailed...wonderful work.
will you just stop it??! i mean seriously, do you always have to be flaunting your incredible talents to all of us lesser beings?? they really are incredible and i'll probably have to brag about you to some of my friends to make myself feel better because, although i am nothing, i have cool and talented connections. ;) honestly, please keep it up because i love seeing all you can create!
I've been a horrible blog reading friend (really, we've been busy). But I'm catching up now. These are beautiful! Your talents never cease to amaze me.
Post a Comment