1. One of my dream vacations is to go to the 'stans' (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkistan, etc.) to go carpet shopping.
2. I hate the fact that I love rap. Damn that Eminem and his catchy lyrics.
3. I am fine with boogers. For kids, picking and eating is just fine with me.
4. I let my kids do some dangerous things at times. A broken arm is a small price to pay for being fearless.
5. Even though I have two full-time maids, I choose to clean sometimes just so I can be in control of something in my life.
6. Speaking of maids/nannies I often try not to talk about them too much when I am with others who don't have one. It either spurs on jealous or makes them judge me as a bad mother.
7. I am actually a very private person. I don't really ever share my inner most thoughts. That is why blogging is always a little uncomfortable for me.
8. Because of this, I often leave a conversation thinking that I've said too much.
9. Even though I earned a 4.0 GPA in my Master of Communications, I sometimes still, have, difficulty, with comma placement.
10. Although I can appreciate good food, I don't care about it. I could easily eat Ramen noodles for a week straight and be fine with it.
11. I don't eat chocolate and soda pop grosses me out.
12. I have no desire to live back in the US or Canada.
12. I am a plain person. Although on occasion I will indulge, I don't get excited about makeup, shoes, or purses.
13. I love to read and I devour any good book I get my hands on (especially historical fiction). Also, I probably enjoy children's books more than my children do.
14. Taking a bath with candles, magazines, incense, plush towels and ice cream is a sacred moment for me. I haven't had one in years but I still dream about it.
15. I am a 'difference feminist' and embrace Lucy Irigaray's theory of 'Love'. I integrated this idea and Benjamin Barber's definition of democracy for my master's thesis.
16. I don't care for old movies; however, my favorite movie of all time is Wizard of Oz.
17. I was 17 when I first kissed someone.
18. I am the youngest of 5 and there was a large age gap between me and my siblings. That is why I like to be alone a lot.
19. I don't understand women who find identity in the number of children they have or how busy their schedule is.
20. I have designed and taught 4 MBA courses.
21. When I was 12, my brother skateboarded across America (DC to Santa Monica, Cali). My sister and I recorded a song for him, which was played over the air across the country, including KROQ in LA. I still cannot listen to that song without being really embarrassed.
22. Living overseas has made me harder and softer. Harder in the fact that I could go for days without showering and I can live without electricity; softer in the fact that I have no idea how to turn on my iron and I can't change more than one diaper a day without getting grossed out.
23. I don't care for infants. I would much rather give birth to a 6 month old baby than endure the first 6 months of baby nothingness.
24. Ever since I was a child, nothing has scared me more than Ronald McDonald.
25. I secretly feel sorry for every other woman out there. I got the best man and I know it.
6 comments:
Love this!
And hey, I feel sorry for every other woman too, I married Superman!!
Talking of maids, you know I said I'd never get one as my 3 - I include Superman in this - were more than capable of looking after themselves?
Yup, we have one too. I'm conflicted or am I lazy? Who cares!! She comes in 3 times a week and 'cleans' properly. My house looks lovely and they all say 'Oh Ednas been today! YAY!'. Is that because they never have to have me on their backs? Harmony for £20 a week - she tells me I pay her too much (I buy her phone cards, she won't take money from me as she says she doesn't do much, less than an hour a day to do more cleaning than I can in a day). And we have some great chats too.
26. I babble too much!
Very interesting,
#11 almost, almost ruined a great cyber friendship.
#13 Restored it. I love to read, in my life it is my sanity. I love the opportunity to visit places I never will and "meet" people, fictional, dead or beyond the realm of really meeting!
I love these. I did a 100 things list one time and it was SO FUN. It's on our blog if you're ever bored. :P (or have extra electricity).
We have some things very much in common and some things so not in common. BUT based on your list, I have two book recommendations. Starting with comma placement, I suggest Eats Shoots and Leaves. Brilliant! So fun.
I so agree with 19.
15 intrigued me so much that I did some research. Found lots on her feminist theories (fascinating!!) but not quite as much on her theory of love--would love to hear more. BUT from what I *did* find, I HIGHLY recommend (can't stress thie enough) the book, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd. SO amazing. We have a women's group here in town discussing the book in parts because there's so much great stuff in it. And 2 of the women (who happen to be painters/artists/writers) say they had an INTENSE desire to CREATE while reading. I can see that.
21. WOW. To you AND your brother. I want to hear it.
25. You don't have to feel sorry for me. You got the best guy for you. But I definitely got the best guy for me. :)
Jackie - It is about time! You need to have a maid. See, it makes life so much easier. And, as you pointed out, a family far more harmonious! PS - I love your babblings..
Jenibelle - I will always know that my reading now compensates for my distain for chocolate or pop. Until now, I have never made the connection. I am so glad I have gained your friendship back!
Stacy - Irigrary is fabulous. I think she has written less these past few years but there are several books that I enjoy of hers. 'I Love to You' is a great one and another one about 'From East to West' (something like this...I don't have it nearby at the moment). She is a French philosopher and had some interesting theories. The aspect of democracy was taken mainly from Benjamin Barber's work. 'A Place for Us' and 'Jihad vs McWorld' are really interesting reads. Heavy, but interesting.
I really enjoyed Secret Life of Bees by Monk Kidd, but I didn't like her Mermaid Chair. I hadn't even heard of the one you have listed. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for all your suggestions.
PS - Yes, I am so happy when women love their husbands so much. It makes my heart happy :) And Mark is certainly the right one for you.
Bromleys!! We miss you guys!!
Okay, so I looked up her books and the theory behind "I Love to You" is very cool. I love language and how much it conveys. I think rhetoric has a lot to do with meaning. (I had an awesome rhetoric in Shakespeare class in college---sooooooooooo interesting).
That book by Kidd isn't like the others. It isn't a novel. It's HER personal story as a feminist on a spiritual journey. And it's SO fascinating. You often feel that she is uttering your very own thoughts in a way that maybe you hadn't considered before. It really has an impact. You can hardly put it down. And I, who hardly EVER reads ahead (I don't like to spoil it), did on this one because I had to see if/how her marriage/career/life survived it. I seriously can't recommend it enough. I get nervous overhyping because then how can it live up to the hype, but I've managed to overhype this book to several people who still love it, so PHEW. Okay, reigning in my enthusiasm now. :P
Post a Comment