
I do, however have a secret crush on Shahrukh Khan and all things SRK
Ever since I moved to Dubai, I have been extremely intrigued by Bollywood movies. There would be line ups all over the place for long awaited movies and my Indonesian maid would play a soundtrack on repeat about 20 times a day. What is the deal?
I then had a friend offer me a movie that she believed would convert me to the Bollywood world of cinema. I struggled through the first hour and half of 'Oh, I love you, but the world has made us forbidden lovers...' and then a subsequent dance with scenes of the Himilayans and coastal shots in Goa. Ah, it was all special and happy but I could not find the real appeal. After about 2 hours of dancing and singing, I was relieved when the screen blackened (believing it to be over) only to find a big 'INTERMISSION' sign flash across the screen with a 5 minute pause. That was it for me. The possibility of a relationship with me and Bollywood was over. I don't even care that the 6 fingered actor is ever so cute. It can't make me suffer through any more Indian drama.
And yet, I am still intrigued.
In retrospect, I didn't give Bollywood the credit it deserved. At least it focuses on love and the film quality is one step above homevideos. It wasn't until I reached Nepal that I realized it could be much, much worse. I must preface this by saying I have yet to actually view a real Nepali film but I can make a somewhat educated guess as to what it would be about as there are a billion posters throughout the city that resemble this:
Oh yes, we have gone back 30 years to a really cheesy soap opera with a splash of blood and Hindu glitz
What are those creepy people doing in the corner?
Although I am tempted, I must pass...until today.
As I was making a stop to buy groceries today, I noticed there was a conspicuous group of people in the parking lot. My maid ran in to buy the groceries and I stayed to see what all the fuss was about. I came to find out that they were shooting a REAL, LIVE MOVIE! Wow. What are the chances (quite large really, it seems this city shrinks more and more the longer I live here; and they seem to release one movie a day!).
It was quite a production and I had to laugh inside because as some of the actors came to dote on my kids, I had a brief moment of awe. Funny, no matter how insignificant the country or movie is, you still somehow get star struck. Embarrassing confession, I know.
3 comments:
I think you need to be in one of the movies. You are totally cute and there must be a blonde american character in at least one of the movies, right?
LOL - I think American cinema is either way ahead of it's time or we're just too dumb to know it's not. I struggle through French, Spanish, British and even Bollywood productions. Ugh - I just don't get it!
LOL on being star-struck though!
Sally - Thank you so much, but I think if you saw me dance you might change your mind about me being cute.
Widlwest - I have to agree. There is something about American cinema that surpasses all others when it comes to cinematography and scriptwriting. Even when I grew up in Canada, I could easily tell the difference between movies from the US and those that has been shot and produced in Canada.
Post a Comment