My mom has been seeking out some belly dancing scarves ever since she got here. She is dabbling in belly dancing and where else to find some props than in the Middle East? So far, no luck. But we did find a great assortment of abayas. Taking photos in stores in the ME is a big no-no, but I risked it all for these shots. You can thank me later...
Many women in the ME don't wear abayas just for religious reasons. For some, it has become more of a symbol of culture than anything. I have discussed the abaya with many local UAE women and several of them say it is not something their husbands want them to wear. Instead, they admit, it is more of an opportunity to hide the fact that they didn't change out of their pajamas before they came to pick up their daughter from school. I am ready to convert.
Another interesting thing is most women are not nearly as modestly dressed underneath as one would expect. When I attended an 'All Women' fashion show at my daughter's school a few years back, once the men left the room, the attendees were dressed in these dresses:
I was amazed at how 'covered up' I seemed. It was their opportunity to shine, and boy did they shine.
No abayas were purchased today. If you want a nice one expect to pay around $200 bucks. Seems like a lot for a black sheet. But to tactfully get away with wearing PJs all day, is any price too high?
3 comments:
Ah, the lovely toastie bin bags!
I bought mine from LuLu (cheaper version of Carrefour) for 15BD, about $5. I didn't want to spend anymore! I need another one - mine has poppers all the way down the front that 'pop' when I stand on the hem or get it caught in the shopping trolley - so I can get away with only my underwear when the summer comes.
When Axel is next in Bahrain, if you want belly dancing gear, visit the Jewel Box, they have loads of belly dancing 'belts'. There is one in the Bahrain mall, where Geant is. You can get them in the Souk too.
Jackie- Nice. Underwear is way better than PJs. How is it covering? I have always felt lucky that I didn't have to do it. I used to get annoyed that some of the fully covered women would cut me off as I am walking through the mall, then I realized, Um, they can't see!
Thanks for the name of the belly dancing goods. I am hoping Axel will take me along next time he goes to Bahrain. Too bad you aren't there :(
I attended the VCUQ fashion show for women's night last spring and had a disturbing experience. No one warned me about what would happen once those abayas came off. Let's just say I was surrounded by what seemed to be a bunch of cross dressers. The make up and plunging necklines were over the top! I wish I had an extra ticket for you for this year's show. I think Sheika Mozah might be there.
Post a Comment