Mom and Dad at the Pearl (manmade island)
My mom and dad are truly the best guests in the world. It is always such a pleasure and honor to have them want to come visit a house full of rambunctious kids for an entire month. My house is completely spotless when my dad comes into town. His distain for garbage and misplaced items keeps my house organized and spotless. I don't think a dirty shirt hit the floor before my dad had it washed, dried, and placed back in the closet. I love it that he continually sings around the house. No voice is more soothing to listen to than my father's. He is always playing with the kids and he is never above wrestling or throwing pillows. There are many times when I have to remind the kids that he is their grandfather and not just one big kid.
My mom is always wonderful to have around. She often takes the kids to go for a walk, reads them books, and has an ample supply of kisses and hugs to go around. Even when she was deathly ill during her visit, she loved being around the family. It was a downer to have her be so sick because no one has more life or drive than my mom. She is always game for anything presented before her. The day before my parent's left my mom and I went shopping. It was the first time we explored the shopping scene of Doha. It was like my mom was unleashed into the real world. My mom is an amazing shopper and quite the fashionista. Truth be told, she is more current in her style than I am. I love that we can wear the same clothing and have the same tastes. Who can do that with their mother?
We had grand plans to go to Jordan after Christmas, but the sickness got in the way. When my parents left, it felt like we had unfinished business. Playing is what we do best and once everyone felt like they wanted to throw up, there wasn't much playing going on. Instead, we watched a dumb movie or stared at the World Atlas together. No matter what we did, it was fun because it was with them.
I am thankful for my parent's vitality and ambition. I know it is rare for most people to take their parents (who are in their late 60's I might add) to a restaurant with a bucket of kids, let alone Sri Lanka for 10 days! I am thankful for their love for me and the way they can always go with the flow. It doesn't matter where in the world I live, I know my parents will always come and play. They are the most down-to-earth people and a joy to have around. I know I discuss my appreciation for my parents often, but I never want them to forget how lucky I know I am.
So, for now, I will sit and organize all of my holiday photos. I will try to enjoy the silence, but only if I have a promise that it will return.
5 comments:
I tried to send a comment and I guess it did not go through. We miss you more than you do us. Just work and cold here. If I was to be sick for the first time in 15 years it was a great place to hang out.
We sure do relax there and love the family feeling.
Mom
Awww, your parents are so cool. And they look FANTASTIC!
Yes your Mom & Dad are wonderful people and I am blessed to have them in my life!
Yes your Mom and Dad are amazing people and I am bless to have them in my life!!!!
Your parents sound great! I'm sorry I missed meeting them while they were here. I have never heard of a dad like yours - neat and tidy yet fun and spontaneous. You are truly a lucky daughter, and I can see why you are so wonderful.
Post a Comment