It is a festival in Festival City mall.
I found this to be a theme throughout Dubai. Several projects are still under way. I mean MASSIVE projects (like Mirdif City Center). Enormous villas now stand where winds would only blow sand. The signs of progress are still here, but this is the tail end. As much as you see construction, there is an equal amount of large villas that are vacant and adorn large signs begging for renters. And even though the new City Center boasts tons of new and exciting features, the 'other new mall' less than a mile down the road is quiet, and partially vacant. It is an interesting time to be in Dubai. I felt like I was here at the height. Dubai was considered a large playground. Everyone was begging to get here. Now, there are fewer people wandering the malls and residents are wondering if they will be here by the end of the summer.
2. Even though signs of the Dubai's crisis are evident, you never hear about it in any of the local media. Everyone here must search the international news to find out the reality of Dubai. I have heard (yet not confirmed) that it is illegal to discuss Dubai's woes within Dubai. I wouldn't doubt it. Even though everyone is talking about it, you will only hear positivity from the Emirati News. Is it the power of suggestion or complete denial?
3. As a result of Dubai's dependancy on Abu Dhabi as of late, I have heard that stricter laws have been enforced. Dubai's ability to 'turn a blind eye' at times made living in the Middle East more comfortable for expats. However, I recently read about a woman who was playfully dancing with her 4 year old daughter at Global Village (a large carnival/fair-like setting). She was told by a local police officer that she must stop her behavior immediately. Dancing is considered inappropriate in public areas. Apparently such cases are happening more often, and Dubai is tightening the straps in response to outside pressures.
4. Oddly, Qatar has become the new focus of the Middle East. The economy is healthy and it is oil rich. It's dependancy on other local economies is minimal and it has weathered this messy economic storm quite well. As a result, people are turning their focus away from Dubai and looking for a more stable environment. I have had some UAE residents ask about the climate in Doha, and furthermore, ask about job opportunities.
5. That being said, Doha cannot even come close to Dubai when it comes to lifestyle and comfort. Doha is small and, comparatively speaking, underdeveloped. Its progress has been slow and less ostentatious. As a result, Doha is dull. Dubai is full of energy and bustle. As one can imagine, it has calmed down quite a bit, but the allure of Dubai is still there. I feel somewhat gypped. I invested 2 years of my life in Dubai during most of the 'waiting' stage. Now, thanks to borrowed money, Dubai is far more developed and has a lot more to offer. The metro is also a cool feature. It has made it easy for people to maneuver throughout the city. The city planning is not quite as horrific as it is in Doha, and the drivers try a little harder to be safe and less obnoxious.
Park your yacht, or helicopter and shop
The standard of living is high in Dubai and it has a ton of amenities that cater to expats. I didn't realize how much I missed Dubai until I came back. I would still take Nepal over any country in the Middle East, but if I had to choose this region, Dubai is where it is at.
Spinneys in Dubai even offers Pork products. We could only dream of this in Qatar.
5. The ghosts of my family have been everywhere I have visited. Wandering in Festival City isn't right unless I have a child on my hip or in my womb. I had my last two babies in Dubai and therefore, it holds many precious memories for me. I became teary-eyed as I drove by my old home in Mirdif. I felt like I could simply leave the taxi, walk through the door, smell Haleni's food and hug baby Sedona. It was so tangible I could taste it. Dubai has given me a lot and I have experienced so many amazing memories here. It has been fantastic to revisit my old life, even if it was just a day.
A hamster ball on the water? Who wouldn't love this?
2 comments:
Okay, the link to that food post? That all looks DELICIOUS! And, WOW, those hamster balls look fun!!
those hamster balls ARE pretty awesome...I bet it would have been better if you had taken some pictures from inside of it while you were inside...post those! oh, what? You didn't get inside? SHAME! I'm disappointed.
Post a Comment