Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Buildings and Animals Paintings and Drawings

I have been doing some oils lately for my coming trip to SLC and a few drawings. I figured I would do some temples for my brother, sisters and mom. The above is a painting of the Manti Temple in the style I have been playing around with. I still might add "The House of the Lord" in white above the gold window. Both Jake and Anna got married in the Manti temple, so they can decide which one gets this one.

Another Manti temple one. This one I reversed the colors. I wanted to see how it would look if it was night and the lights were shining from the ground.

SLC temple 'at night'. Jane and my mom got married in the SLC temple so they can decide which one gets this one and which gets the next one.

This is the other SLC temple one. If you look at the lower left hand corner you can see a light post. When I drew this on the canvas, it had a light post. Heavah came in one night and saw I left it off, so she drew it in. I liked it so I painted it. First joint painting for us!

The first of three Washington DC temples. I am going to do these for my mission companions Jeff, Bud and Paul. I have two more to do obviously. It will be really great to see those guys this summer! I am excited!

The Michigan State University Bell Tower in East Lansing at night in the winter. I am going to see my friend Dave (Bizz) Alizo in the US too. I haven't seen him since my brain tumor so it is going to be a special treat. He and I spent many a late night/early morning shooting rabbits on MSU campus so I drew this for him. Also he graduated from MSU. I am thinking about putting the clock hands at 1 - 9 on the first clock and 8 -7 on the second. The year he and I graduated high school. What do you think, corny?

I have a few favorite animals. A Nyala is one of them. I did this one for fun.

This is based on a picture we took of an Orangatang in Sri Lanka. He looked so sad. Hence the blue. No he is not Bigfoot. But perhaps they are related?

I started drawing when I am on my business trips. I did this one I think in Kuwait or Bahrain the last time I was there. It is a Nepali Hornbill that was taken at the zoo in Bali. I loved seeing these guys when we went to Chitwan in Nepal. They had a loud voice too and you could hear them calling in the jungle.

Another of my favorite animals. A Secretary bird. We saw several in Kenya. The hightlight of my safari there! I love these guys. I thought I would paint this one more natural.

Another of my favorite animals; a Marco Polo sheep. They live in the Stans high in the mountians. They are hands down the coolest big game animal anyone can take. I got it framed and you can see me in the glass taking the picture.

A close up of my favorite part. I drew this one in Oman.


Terah tells me not to post my bad pictures anymore. By all rights then I shouldn't post this one as I am not in love with it. I saw this one done by another artist and I wanted to try it. Let's face it, I am not a detailed painter and I am not so good at humans, faces or fabric. Three things I want to learn if I ever get a chance to finally take a painting class. I am sure I have loads of bad habits to unlearn and tricks to learn. One day I'll take one and get good at these things that bug me I can't do yet.

Anyways, hoped you liked seeing them.... Unitl next time!

2 comments:

Chillygator said...

I REALLY love the first one...and the new style. I sort of want one (o:

Jackie said...

Great paintings.