Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Girlcation London Style



It was time for another girlcation and what better place to visit than London? It is chic, fun, and not-so-child-friendly, making it a playground for moms in need of a vacation. England wasn't my first choice because it didn't seem exotic enough, but I knew we could be in Siberia and have a blast as long as we could all be together. I will be the first to admit I was wrong, London was the perfect choice for a million reasons.

Here are some musts for a successful girlcation:

1. Stay in a luxurious apartment that is full of breakables and fine linens and relax because you know your children aren't there to break anything. (Thanks to Amber and her fine house hunting.)
Our adorable 3 bedroom apartment in Notting Hill.







2. See thea-ture that makes your heart happy. I believe I have been Defying Gravity for 2 days straight-on repeat.

Wicked is wickedly delicious. Almost as delicious as 'Fiyero' (I believe there was a gasp by all the women-and some men-the first time he entered the stage). We tried to stalk him, but to no avail. He was probably more interested in the men than 5 cute married women anyway.

3. Eat at the finest of restaurants, even if it takes you over an hour to find. It is always worth it.

Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant. The world's slowest service, but some of the best food ever.


Gordan Ramsay's recommended Tapas restaurant. Two servings of creme brulee, please. While on girlcation it is a rule not to care about your wasteline (or what it may become after you go home, for that matter).
Pub fish and chips doused in vinegar. The true London experience.
4. Visit all of the landmarks, even if Obama disrupts your flow.


Why is it when I see these guys I just want to say, 'Bob's your uncle!' His name is probably not Bob, nor is he my uncle, and yet, I just said it in my head for the 50th time.

5. Experience the history, but pay extra for modern comforts.

Shakespeare's Globe Theater.

Authenticity is great and all, but not if it means I have to stand during the entire All's Well That Ends Well. Those poor common folk near the stage were chastised every time they crouched down. We splurged and had cushions for our hineys. I don't regret it one bit. My boney butt thanked me for the rest of the day.

6. Visit as many museums as your attention span can handle, and be thankful children are not dictating your schedule.


Tate Britain and National Museum.

I ogled at the impressionist exhibit trying to soak in all the details so I could return and report to my Van Gogh-loving husband. The paint was thinner than I had expected and the paintings were less detailed. I had to take photos, illegally of course.


7. Experience the weather and love, love, love the chill and wetness. My genetic memory was in play and those black clouds were as familiar to my heart as maple syrup and back bacon.

8. Check out the British cuteness, and then realize you are officially a cougar.

Buying macaroons not just because they are delicious.

9. Engage in all the cheesy and touristy crap you can find.


Apparently, the closest urinal for miles. Oh, the things we will do for a good photo.

10. Most importantly, laugh and enjoy all of the girly goodness you can!

Never have I laughed harder. Who needs a workout when you have some of the funnest and funniest women around. They are not only beautiful, they are also smart, engaging, and exceptionally fun. Love.

Farran reminding us to take time to smell the roses, and keep our eyes open while doing it.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh the fun!!! Loved your post!!! LOL (YES SERIOUSLY) about your Cougar comment. :) You are so funny!