Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Enlightening my son one video game at a time...




I can't stand it that my son plays video games. If I could, I would eliminate every XBox and Wii machine that was ever made. To me it is mindless and unproductive. No matter how hard I fought this, my Halo-loving husband insisted that it was the only way my son would survive the Doha summer months at home, and I hate to admit it, but he was right.

Xavier didn't play much during the nice weather, but as soon as his bum was burnt from his bicycle seat he revisited gaming. In response, I have strongly enforced rules. First, all homework must be done, and done well. Second, a chapter of a book must be thoroughly read. Thirdly, rooms must be cleaned and organized.

My problem was, even though all the tasks were completed, my son would still just sit in front of a mind-numbing screen. I still disliked it. A lot. To combat this I made one final rule. If he was going to play any video game he must do it on mute and a classical CD must be turned on...and loud.

Ever since I enforced this rule, Xavier has now begun to memorize his favorite songs and periodically you will see him create words to the tunes like: "I will beat you and steal your stars, yes I will, oh yes I will".

Now, instead of feeling disgust when I see him play, my heart is happy to watch him sing and move to Mozart's concerto no. 24 in c minor as his Mario Brother flies through the air to save the Princess.

Try it, your gaming son will be a master of the classics in no time.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Doha, qatar

11 comments:

Megan said...

Lol-THAT is awesome!!!!

Dianna said...

You are definitely onto something powerful!

Janice said...

This is pure genius.

Suzanne said...

Genius! I love it.

Christie said...

Love this idea. I, too, hate the gaming systems and would love to introduce a little culture into my boys' lives. Thanks.

P.S. The dry shampoo does work even after a sweaty work out. I run for 45 minutes every day and am a total sweat bomb. Seriously. Try it.

Donna said...

What a great idea!

Karey said...

Love this idea.

missy said...

Great idea! One of my problems with video games is that, even though my kids have a time limit, I have 4 boys and they all want to watch each other play so they are spending way more time than their personal allotment staring at that screen. This is a great solution. Thanks!

Cares and Mimi said...

Lovely idea! My son gets so crabby after he's done playing that we've only allowed one day per week to play. Now he'll be playing with Beethoven - can't wait to see if the crabbiness will dissipate? Thanks! -Cares

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

That is the craziest, sickest idea you have ever come up with! What is wrong with you? Don't you know that it was created to numb their minds and assault their senses with gratuitous electro music??? I can't believe you are denying your child. What kind of mother are you? hmmmmm? What is he going to do when he goes to his first dance and is expecting to line up and do a quatrille instead of the deacon shuffle? Now he is doomed.

Lindsay RC Wilson said...

LOVE this. I will keep this in mind for the future. Reminds me of my god friends who were not allowed to fight with their siblings unless they sang their arguements.

P.S. Does Xavier work up that much of a sweat playing that he needs dry shampoo?