Our ward in Doha is awesome. The RS has decided to utilize the talents of the LDS women by creating classes that help teach and enrich. I have learned how to cook, quilt and stay fit thanks to the programs that have been offered here.
For the past twelve weeks or so I have been teaching my friends how to smock. This has been my contribution to the group, and a way to compensate for all the free yoga classes I have attended. I was happy to show them that it is really easier than it looks (shhh....don't tell anyone. I love people thinking that I am ubertalented and highly capable. No one should know that it can be a simple and mindless activity).

Monique, Lindsay, Afton, Christine, me
The best part of smocking isn't really sitting and doing needlework. Instead, it is the lively conversations that inevitably occur. There is so much juiciness and laughter that it feeds the soul. Our 'smock talks' have really been my weekly delight.

Afton was ambitious enough to create this beautiful Mary De dress for her daughter. Can you see the beam of pride on Charlotte's face? It just screams, 'My mom is awesome and she made this dress just for me! I am a princess!'

We will begin picture smocking this week and soon my schedule will drastically change. I am staring at 2 job offers right now and no matter which one I chose, my days will be full. More on that to come...

If you'll notice in the picture above, a baby was recently born in our smocking group. Lindsay had her baby in Qatar--unexpectedly in her home--on her living room floor!!!! She was back in the smocking circle two weeks later with such an animated and interesting story I was left in shock and disbelief. It had to have been one of our best smocking sessions ever. She wins the birthing war story by a mile!
Afton was ambitious enough to create this beautiful Mary De dress for her daughter. Can you see the beam of pride on Charlotte's face? It just screams, 'My mom is awesome and she made this dress just for me! I am a princess!'
This week was Christine's last week with us. She is heading back to the US to start a whole new adventure in her life. Luckily, she is 90% done with her gorgeous newborn bishop dress and she may need it for her upcoming baby #5! She already has 4 adorable boys, and is less inclined to make a smocked outfit for them (I can't imagine why?). We are all hoping for a baby girl in her future. Otherwise, her 8 year old son will have to start sporting lederhosen with his smocked overalls, just to keep her fingers active.
We will begin picture smocking this week and soon my schedule will drastically change. I am staring at 2 job offers right now and no matter which one I chose, my days will be full. More on that to come...
5 comments:
whatever!! you are so talented! i wish i was there! love axels new paintings on the wall btw!
Yes, you ARE ubertalented. I'm so glad you took pictures of everyone with their creations. Thanks again for teaching this class. So about the possible job in your future . . . won't a job get in the way of your traveling?!! Remember your priorities, okay?!
as Parker would say, you are super duper talented! I know that I could never smock and sew and design like you! PLUS, look at how many other's have now learned the art of smocking because of you!
Ooo, I want to hear the birth story! After my own son's "surprise" entrance I'd love to see how it happened for other people! At least I made it to the (dry, but toy-filled) bathtub instead of the living room floor :)
Yikes, Tami! That is an equally crazy story.
Lindsay's baby had no intention on going to the hospital to be born. I guess he knew that his dad was not going to be allowed in the room (Muslim Law), so he decided to avoid the hospital altogether so his dad could be present. The one thing he didn't know is it is illegal to have a home birth in Qatar. Luckily, Lindsay didn't go to jail, but she had a lot of explaining to do when she finally got to the hospital.
Post a Comment