A highlight for us while in Addis Ababa was visiting the National Museum of Ethiopia. Not only was it complete with several masks laced with human hair and crazy African mosaics, it also housed the oldest human remnants.

This is not the oldest human, but these monkey bones date back to 4.4 million years. A pretty impressive find, and it makes me wonder what stressed this little guy out. Did the bananas taste the same? Did he/she ever ponder global warming? Did he/she even ponder at all? So many questions....
Here is the famous 'Lucy' hominid. She dates back to 3.2 million years ago. There isn't much there to see, but this 3 foot nothing girl happened to exist during the pleistocene era (ie, giant, crazy mammal period). Did she frolic in the fields with the huge sloths? I don't know, but I guarantee she has some sweet stories to share. 
The archaeological and paleoanthropological sections in the basement of the museum were humble, but so very impressive. Axel's favorite section was the mammal exhibit featuring all the Ice Age 2 characters--but this time not animated--instead, for reals. This is a mammoth bone.

It was a fascinating and incredible exhibit, and completely worth the stop. Lucy didn't disappoint because she made me visit a world in my mind that I rarely ever contemplate. Life is a blip, a mere sliver in time. If I ever worry about trial issues in my life I can always remember, 'Another 100 years, all new people.'


1 comment:
I remember visiting the museum in Cairo and seeing the mummys and thinking "Wow, everyone was so short back then"....I wonder why we just keep getting taller and taller....hmmmmm
Post a Comment