Monday, September 5, 2011

Nanaimo


Nanaimo is a small city on the eastern side of Vancouver Island. I don't know what attracted Axel to this city in particular other than there is fishing nearby, it is a short ferry ride to Vancouver, and it has some of the mildest weather in all of Canada. It was a good pick, and not just for their delicious desert bars (my jean size in high school can attest to the number Nanaimo bars I consumed as a teenager).

Parts of Nanaimo are beautiful and quaint. The shopping was also a huge selling point for me. We took an entire morning and afternoon boutique shopping. I could easily hold back on my spending knowing that it was likely I was coming back. I do believe I have an entire home furnished in my mind. I could also accessorize all of the new clothing I will buy to fill my new walk-in closets. Imaginary shopping is great for your budget and marriage.

A couple of times Sedona was mistaken for a mannequin in the window. Two women jumped when Sedona moved from her position. I was hoping that her contribution to drawing attention to the merchandise would have given us a slight discount on all items in the store. The only thing we got was a free balloon. What a let down.

We were also very interested in seeing what the church was like in Nanaimo. Just as we talked about our shared interest, we just so happen to pass a chapel. My dad stopped the car, drove in the parking lot just in time for us to join the Pioneer Day celebration. We got a lovely pork meal with green jello and homemade root beer. Those Mormons have the same kind of food no matter where you go in the world. They also open the doors to anyone. It was almost as awesome as crashing a wedding.

What also must be noted is that Nanaimo appears to have all the necessary stores to attract me to come back to the western world. I have even been told that Zellers has been bought out by Target. As soon as I heard that, I was convinced I could live on Vancouver Island. I am like a magnet to that red dot. Damn that red dot.

The only thing that was necessary to convince Sedona was a beautifully iced, jellied, pink doughnut. If Nanaimo has a Tim Hortons every 5th block, she is in.

No comments: