Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Travelling with Kids


If I had to claim being an expert on one thing, I think traveling with kids would be it. Whether it was when I went to Panama with a 6 month old Heavah on my own, or flew to Dubai with a 3 and 4 year old while 8 months pregnant with Doha on my own, or flew from Nepal to SLC with a 6, 5, 2, and 1 year old baby, again, on my own, I think I have a slight grasp on what works and what doesn't. At least if I don't deserve the title of 'expert', I would like to think I at least deserve an honorable mention.

Here are some things I can share:

1. Pack lightly. The above picture was the beginning of our trip to France. Unlike my normal practice, I brought 2 carry ons, 2 check in bags and a stroller. I knew when we packed it was going to be TOO much luggage. As a result, during our trip in France we dumped one of the check in bags to narrow our luggage down to two carry ons and one check in. We also eventually dumped the stroller. I always limit myself to one check in. You can always buy what you need wherever you are going. Yes, even in India.

2. Plan for no entertainment on the plane. I can't count the number of times I have gone on an international flight (over minimum 11 hours) without entertainment. This is a recipe for disaster. Buy the playthings required to entertain small ones. This can be DVD players, play stations, all Apple products, etc. Never leave thinking the airline will keep them occupied.

3. Bring snacks. There is nothing worse than waiting for that meal that smells up the cabin for a hour before you actually get served. Don't depend on airplane food. It never comes when you want it, and it also comes when you don't want it. Keep a small supply for hungry kids.

4. Bring an extra set of clothing, for everyone. I can't tell you the number of times I have been spilled, puked, or peed on. Being drenched in puke for 9 hours on a plane wasn't the happiest time of my life. Make sure you bring clothing and wipes. It will save your life.

5. Try to take a night flight, if possible. Beginning a 25 hour travel session with fresh, awake children just means you are going to be very busy for a l-o-n-g time. Drowsy kids actually have the potential of knocking off, not the child that has just woken up from a 12 hour sleep.

6. Always know where your passport and money are. Everything else can be bought. You will have a hard time replacing these two items while stranded in Africa somewhere.

7. Dog tag your child. If you have runners, like I do, or even if you don't, it is likely you will misplace a child at some point. There is a lot of relief in knowing that if your child becomes lost, he/she can simply show the policeman or nice looking mother all the information required to find mom or dad. If you can't dog tag them, Sharpie them. The Amber Alert system is not international. It is your responsibility to find your child.

8. Make sure the trip has many moments for them. Don't drag kids from museum to museum. Give them opportunities to run, play, and have fun. Don't try to see everything. Just be thankful for what you can see and let go of the rest.

9. Have a handful of games ready in your mind. You can use the animal alphabet game, eye spy, or 12 guesses to keep them pre-occupated. Eye spy was the perfect game to play while cruising the Masai Mara in Kenya. It doesn't always work in an immigration line at 3 am in Jordan, but every well behaved minute counts!

10. Expect it to pay more. Sometimes you have to buy $7 for a bottle of water to keep everyone happy. With kids, you must try to fulfill the need instead of saving a few bucks. That might mean you stay in the nicer hotels and take taxis instead of the metro. Whatever will make it easier on you and the kids, pay the money and do it.

11. Don't stress about the rules. If you don't have the car seat in the taxi, it is okay. If your kid wants to lie down on the bathroom floor (yes, it has happened to me tooooo many times - even in Nepali bathrooms) it is okay. Let it happen. The experience is more important than doing it perfectly. Some things you may have to trade off. Let go of all the rules and let yourself enjoy the experience.

12. Have fun. One of my favorite quotes is this:

'Enjoy the anticipation,
Endure the experience,
and Cherish the memories'

Not all trips are a walk in the park. It takes work and can have its meltdown moments, but it is always worth it. The memories that you will build from such life changing experiences is something that will never be replaced.

The one bag rule never works when returning home. In fact, always anticipate buying a new piece of luggage for all your newly found treasures.

3 comments:

Megan said...

All so so true! :)

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

Amen.

You just wrote the story of my travelling life :) In fact, when we rolled into Doha I had to pull Parker's pants off because he had actually pooped through TWO pairs of pants. He only had a diaper on. Oh well. Whatcha gonna do? Single parent, 3 year old flailing on the floor, indians TRYING to cut in line and the relief society president (I didn't realize that at the moment) standing right in front of me. And I wonder why Doha didn't start out so well.

Paige said...

I'm a nasty commenter but also a relative so you have to include me, right? Also, the best thing to do with a private blog when you update is to email everyone who is subscribed. Just save them as a group on your email and send an "updated" email with a link otherwise people just forget to read. And I don't want to forget because suburban houses (had to drop the "wife") part really are awed by your life. Sometimes horrified. Sometimes jealous. Always awed.