Monday, September 5, 2011

Qualicum Falls and Cathedral Hall

This is Axel. I say that so you don't expect a hugely awesome post. When Terah posts, she always does so by doing her homework on the place and giving bits of info I didn't know even when I was there. I usually just say "this is a picture of a tree I saw" And I like ending my sentences with '...' That means I don't want to write anymore and leave the rest to your able imagination...
Vancouver island really is a paradise of beauty. There is life simply everywhere. We met Danny and Linda to primarily find out if the four of us would want to live there, and I think at the end of the trip we all came back with the same answer; yes! One of the days we were there we chose to drive to Port Alberni instead of looking for houses. On the way there I had seen a few sights on Google Earth I thought were worth seeing in person. Qaulicum falls was one. It was just off the main highway and only a little walk to see both falls. The above is one of them.
Linda is a child of the forest like me too. She and I share a special bond with nature and we were both in heaven talking about how wonderful this place was. Even Dona caught a baby garter snake and named her Alice and carried her all around there.
That is the look of pure bliss on my face.

After the falls, if you keep driving towards Port Alberni you come to a 'Cathedral' of Douglas firs. They are some of the oldest and biggest in North America. It was amazing to be standing next to these trees that were old when Colombus was landing. The oldest tree there was over 800 years old. That is right, they were alive when William the Conqueror was doing his thing in Europe (which BTW, Vancouver Island is as large as Britian). You got a real sense of peace in that place. Like it was holy or hallowed ground.

This tree was the biggest and oldest one. It was just amazing to look up on it and see how high it went. 75 meters or about 250 feet straight up of living tissue.

The moss was everywhere and gave the whole place a very 'Middle Earth' feeling. I was looking for gnomes or wood elves everywhere. I saw only one pixie and she was related to me.

Here is a better picture of the pixie...

Honestly this picture is a travesty it is so underwhelming compared to seeing this in real life. Terah and I have this thing we call the 'mental camera'. We 'take mental pictures' of a place so that when we get to heaven and have our house up there we can put these pictures on our wall and actually give a better representation of the feeling and grandeur of God's creations. This place had lots taken by both of us.

Yep, lots of neck straining.
To get to Port Alberni you come over the mountian range and you are there. It is amazing there too. The weather was perfect, and looking at this water knowing it leads right out to the Pacific Ocean was pretty cool too.

The first sights of Port Alberni



Again, Parksville just before we started this trek. Honestly I love this place. I am so hoping we get a house there and can show all the other kids and extended family and friends how really amazing this beautiful place is! You're invited!

No comments: