Ahhh...the beginnings of the bird fluChickens multiply and fast. We are now pushing 100 chickens from the 4 chickens Axel bought when we first arrived in Nepal. Over the past few months, we have grown to love these social and animated birds. The kids will spend hours upon hours moving the chickens from cage to cage, watching roosters fight, or judging the hens on how well they mother their chicks. It is a daily ritual to sit, work on projects and observe the funny behaviors of our chickens. Seems boring, but it is a great source of entertainment for us in Nepal.
Two facts: 1. Chickens actually originated in Nepal. The Jungle Chicken (which can be seen in Chitwan) was the original chicken. 2. Nepali chickens only lay brown eggs. If you see a white egg, you know it came from India, which made Easter really interesting for dying eggs. The Easter Bunny resorted to using Axel's paint. It wasn't so pretty.
Yesterday we finally broke down and made our chickens pay for their stay. We have a surplus of roosters right now and a couple of them had to go. Listening to 5 different cock-a-doodle-dos at 4am was getting old. So this is what happened:Asa assumed that the chicken might enjoy a good play session before he went to the other side. Too bad it was too late.
Sedona loved the chicken head
And voila! Delicious dinner!
If you are cringing right now I only have one questions for you--what are YOU having for dinner tonight?
3 comments:
Chicken on the grill!
I helped my step-grandmother pluck a chicken when I was 3. That was in the Azores. Americans are so spoiled.
Sorry....but Canadians are spoiled too...can't get past eating anything that looks like it was or has a face. Send me to a pig roast you will find me as far from the spit as possible. I would rather not picture my food romping happily through the meadow! lol
Okay, so I'm cracking up! The kids were admiring the Flat Stanley post and we continued down through this one. When we got to the picture of Sedona holding the rooster's head I thought Jane (all girl) would be disgusted. Instead, the ONLY comment she made on the photo was "Why is that girl wearing a dragon shirt?"
Nick wanted to know if the rooster was alive before you killed it...city kid.
However, I remember at his age (10) our family went to visit family friends who lived on a farm and they slaughtered some chickens for our dinner. I wouldn't touch it and I was starving. I've never had the opportunity to have such fresh meat since then and I've always regretted it -
I think it's awesome!
Dayna
Post a Comment