The immodest look
Life can be slow in Nepal, so Axel and I have been working on projects lately. I just completed this dress. I used the 'Sea You Later' smocking plate (I know, could the names be any cheesier?). The dress pattern is my own creation.
The close up with dinner stain and all
I have about 5 or 6 more outfits in the works. I need to get more smocking on my 6 year old before she becomes too old (she hasn't complained yet, so I am going to smock more until the dreaded day she says, 'Um, mom, I am dating boys and driving a car, I should probably stop wearing smocked dresses'). More to come.
3 comments:
I really, really, really want an in-depth tutorial. I want to make something spectacular for my in-the-works grandchild. You do beautiful work.
That is amazing and the fact that the dress is your own design, is just crazy amazing!
Jenibelle - I would love to give you a lesson or two. Smocking is such a dying art and I would love to pass on my knowledge. It is very difficult to find someone who can teach smocking. The lady who taught me is in her 80s now. The other problem is, the tools necessary to make the dresses are difficult to come by. You really have to be part of a network. If you could find someone with a pleater you could grab yourself the A-Z of Smocking book ([published by Country Bumpkin). That would be a start.
Summer - Thanks so much! As for your other question, in order to pleat the fabric you have to own a pleater. They are difficult to find and you probably wouldn't recognize one of you saw it. You can buy pleaters online but most of them come from Australia and run about $200 (at least). Smocking involves a bit of an investment before you get started. I would love to teach smocking but it is a little too tricky from Nepal.
Post a Comment