Thursday, April 9, 2009

Groceries

I just returned home from grocery shopping. It is a whole day affair. The travel time each way to the actual 'superstore' is about 45 minutes from my home (that is if the traffic is at a minimum). There are other options nearby, but only for the simple necessities. If I want anything fancy (as in cheese and milk), I must make the trek.

g1

Asa at the GRAND OPENING of Bhat Bhatinis

This new superstore (named Bhat Bhatini) opened about three months ago. It is super high tech with scanners and refrigerators. It is the talk of the Nepal expat playgroup members. The conversations go like this: "They have something like ricotta cheese there but you have to look for it under Danish Cheese. It is hidden in the refrigerator next to the 10 dollar Philadelphia Cheese." Or, "I once found Balsamic Vinegar there. It may not be there now, but keep checking!" Or, "If you're super lucky, you might find a REAL lemon, not those fake kind that they sell on the streets."

Outside of going to Bhat Bhatinis, most of my shopping occurs at different shops around town. I buy meat at a special store that also has refrigerators that boast working 24 hours! They also sell beef (shhhhh...it's a secret. Not that my didi's would cook it anyways). The vegetables are bought by my didis at the fruit/veg market down the street. I don't dare go in, especially in the summer. The stench is unbearable.

So, basically Bhat Bhatinis is just for the real luxuries. I can buy special things like pasta, cereal (about 5 different kinds only), milk (boxed), and pancake syrup. The outing is always pricey. To buy such extravagant food items today just set me back $300. Even though this store is so cutting edge, it still has many hints of Nepal. Let me explain...

When I first arrived in Nepal I would buy small food items at the corner stores. Whenever I did, before I made the purchase, they would pull out a cloth and clean it off. Not just one item, ALL the items. It is nice personal touch I suppose but really could it be THAT dirty? The answer is, yes.

Because Bhat Bhatini is so big, you don't get that personal touch. Too bad for mass marketing. Instead it goes straight in the plastic bag and brought home. I just finished putting my groceries away and this is what my fingers looked like:

g1

How does one get so dirty after placing food items on a shelf? How do food items get so dirty? I don't get it. Did it take a roll down the side of the ravine into the Bagmati River? This is the only thing that makes any sense.

g2

My pantry and the vast selection

g3 There are days that I dream of taking a walk down the aisles of Acme and have a grand selection of any food item I choose. I dream of flavoured yogurt, real milk, and fresh bread. Now, I am just dreaming of a food item that doesn't blacken my hands before it gets into my mouth.

1 comment:

Boquinha said...

I don't know how you do anything but squeeze those cheeks.

I love boxed milk. I wish we had that in the states (but cheaper).