I absolutely LOVE the talent and resources they have here in Nepal. Although I cannot find a Potterybarn down the road, I can always find someone to make an exact replica for about a third of the price. If I can think of a design, I can always find someone to make it.
When Remi came to visit she asked me to pick up a necklace, bracelet and earrings at a little shop near the hospital where she worked. When I finally got around to picking it up, it was gone. She drew me a picture of what it looked like so I had an idea of what she wanted. Instead, I took the drawing to a silversmith near my home. He made the exact design she wanted and I shipped it off to her.
The bracelet, necklace and earrings looked so fabulous I thought I would also give him more business. I took a similar design and had him use my birthstone-the peridot.

I also had earrings made that exactly match the necklace.

The earrings, bracelet and necklace cost $38. (About a month ago it was a third less because silver has recently gone up in price). Least to say, I am happy. I am now dreaming up more ideas. Any suggestions???? I never really cared about jewels before but this has opened up a whole new world of fun!
4 comments:
How awesome!
I would do this: get someone artistic (you or your husband!) to draw a family tree (very small) and put it on a pendant with a tiny jewel (not neccesarily their birthstone) for each family member. You could get one for yourself and for each grandma in your family.
I want to do that, but it is a little expensive here! My neighbor has something similar but her tree has all teeny diamonds on it, with a diamond representing each year of her marriage so far.
You could also have jewelry boxes made with a special design, name or inscription on the lid.
And jewelry made for your daughters when they are older. I am so into my kids right now, I would get a necklace with different pendants for each child. And a ring that has something symbolizing each of my children.
Please share what you get. This sounds so fun.
Sally - Such great ideas! I am so thankful for those suggestions. I am going to try it and post about it when it is done. Thanks so much!
Beautiful, Terah! Wow. Around here, people buy fishing line and beads in little kits at Michael's. I think you've got a more authentic gig going on over there.
You're helping me appreciate the cool wood carvings and jewelry I've got from my stint in West Africa . . . maybe I'll post about that some time.
I should say "even more." I do appreciate them. It's just that seeing your posts helps me recognize *even more* how neat that stuff is.
Post a Comment