In my younger years I never appreciated having a sister. I thought my sister's only role in life was to take my clothing and torment me in many inhumane ways. No two people could fight better. We couldn't wait for my parents to leave so we could chase each other around the house. We were nasty and mean. The only time we became friends was when we got in trouble. There was nothing like forming an alliance against mom and dad, even if it was with your worst enemy.
My sister and I are 4 years apart and I thought that was the absolute worst age difference. She was always several steps ahead of me when it came to boys and beauty. No fair. We were different enough that we barely shared the same universe.
However, as the years have passed all has been forgotten, and to me, no one is more precious than my sister. We don't even recognize the old relationship we had and I am so thankful that I have a bigger sister who will always love me and I will always love her. I regret our childhood years. The fighting was such a waste of time.
Now that I have two girls, I am so thankful they have each other. It is funny how they have come to speak the same language and share interest in the same things. There is something special about sisters because they understand your 'girliness' and often reflect your weaknesses. You understand their concerns about your wardrobe or needs for all things pink. You can play Polly Pockets with the same ideas and themes. Not like when brother shows up with his trucks and attempts to destroy the Polly Pocket city you just spent hours setting up. You dance to the same music and prance in the same way.
I love that I have two girls who will understand the breakups and hang ups of life together. I love that my girls will discuss boys and make up in the same manner. I love that they will champion each other when the brothers in their lives tease them. I love it that they will see the world similarly and yet so differently. I am glad they will have a female shoulder to cry on that won't be just mom's.
Sisters are a grand thing and I feel fortunate to have my own. I am also so thankful that God gave me two girls so the generation of sisterhood can move forward.
1 comment:
I'm insanely jealous of women with sisters . . .
Post a Comment