Let's face it, the president of the US is really just an ambassador who is considered the face of America. It has never been more clear to me since I moved overseas. This is one of the reasons why Bush failed so miserably. Can anyone dispute this? Ironically, the only people who ever came up to me and said they loved Bush were two very scary looking Iranian women who held both thumbs up and said, 'We love 'da Bush'. Good for them.
Sadly, since I have been overseas, especially in a Muslim country, I have been embarrassed by all the damage the US made in Iraq and the economy. Not to mention that when Bush came to Abu Dhabi he didn't even make a planned stop in Dubai because he had no idea where it was or why it was significant. Are you kidding? Has he been living under a rock for the past 5 years? I suppose so.
The feeling of embarrassment has finally subsided. There is a glimmer of hope with our new choice of president. Again, I am not naive to think that Barack Obama will change the entire world, but he will be a better face for America. He has lived overseas as a child and that speaks volumes in my books. Furthermore, he lived in a Muslim country, which tells me he has a little more understanding of what we are fighting against and what we are NOT fighting against. I still wonder if Bush has any clue what a Sunni or a Shite really is.
Obama has made several claims that I am sure are just rhetoric, but one claim I believe is 'change'. The simple fact that we now have a black president is change. The fact that the world will take us a little more seriously is change. What comes after this is anyone's guess but I have a feeling for better or worse, it will be a change.
18 comments:
Totally appreciate your overseas perspective.
Totally agree with you. Like Barack said, the US has been my own beacon of hope for years. I hated the damage this current administration has done to the US image. I pray that our Father may keep our president safe, and that he may be able to inspire our people to do great things.
Beautiful post, Terah. Thank you for this.
Let's face it, the president of the US is really just an ambassador who is considered the face of America.
You honestly think that?! Or maybe you are saying that it seems that way to you since you live overseas or since you are from Canada?
Terah, its Melinda from delaware. Just wanted to say hi.
Yes We Can!
(anonymous is a wimp. put a name to the accusation. Celia can help you figure out who it was if you really want to know).
Melinda – So happy to see you on the Net! I must check out your cute kids…all 4 or is that 5 of them!
Notorious – Hilarious! You’d think that after that last anonymous comment made on Paige’s blog, no one would ever dare post another anonymous comment on someone’s blog who is at all related to your family!
Wait, I want a link to how Paige handled that. What anonymous link? I got a rather obnoxious one yesterday (that the author voluntarily later deleted). What is with people?
You make some pretty strong assumptions about President Bush. Just like all of us commen men and women I'm sure he knows the difference between the Sunni and Shia and all about Dubai. I'm not totally enthralled with what's going on in the US, but we can't blame everything on "W". Imagine where B.O. is gong to take us. I hope he proves me wrong.
Stacy- Check out Paige's website. It was written about a week ago about teacher pregnancies. I don't have the site link as I am using someone's computer in Dubai. It is worth the read.
Anna- I wish I was making assumptions about Bush. However, when he came to visit the ME he only planned to visit Abu Dhabi because it is the capital of the UAE. He did not realize the real power was in Dubai. It took some persuasion from Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum to have him even come visit Dubai; hence the reason why us (Dubai residents) received only a few hours notice that the entire city was going to shut down so Bush could make a quick view of the city. He knew nothing of Dubai's significance, which was a little embarrassing for all American citizens in this part of the world. So, no, he is not like us common men and women as you suggested. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to know that international politics is not one of Bush's strong points. But I commend you for your willingness to stand up for him.
I am not blaming all of the problems on Bush. In fact, as I had mentioned in my blog, the President of the US has great limitations when it comes to his power. There are many others who are in the background making the real decisions. They are equally to blame and that is one of the reasons why the Republican party, as a whole, is suffering so much right now. But, one thing I can blame Bush for is not being a very good 'ambassador' for America. The overseas voices are praising America for putting Obama in office, or at least those who I am talking to in Nepal and Dubai (which actually has representatives from all nations). The feeling is positive and hopeful. And as an expat living overseas, I am thankful we have Barack and not McCain.
Do I think Barack will work miracles? Not necessarily. But what I have said is that he will be the right person for international relations, which needs to be greatly repaired after Bush's term. It is possible that he may fail on may other levels, but for this one aspect, I think he will do the American people right.
Hilarious, Terah. Thanks for that. I've had my own battle with a stupid commenter recently, too.
And I totally agree with your comment on Obama. Totally. We so need him for foreign relations.
Terah, I couldn't disagree with you more. I hope that Obama can't change America as much as he would like. I love it too much.
I wonder what your news is like there. Bush's approval rating sunk to a new low today . . . 27%.
You get to see things we never even hear about here in the US. Nevertheless, I can't help but be concerned with the party platform of B.O. It stands for things that our Savior teaches are wrong. Abortion, gay marriage and not holding people responsible for their choices. So while I get very passionate about those issues, I also pray that B.O. will surprise us and his own party with an approach that is in line with the Savior's teachings. (I hope that doesn't offend you because I find your blog very interesting. Thanks for giving us stateside Americans a view from your side of the world)
I thinks it's so funny that some people think because you support a democrat, you automatically support abortion or gay marriages. I live in Utah, and as you may know it's a VERY republican state, however, abortions are legal. Just open a phone book and you'll see hundreds of adds for "birth control" clinics. Minors don't even need parental agreement to get an abortion. As for the gay marriage thing, who is the governor in Cali? Yes, a republican, and from which party is the president when gay marriages became legal? Yes, a republican. W even said he wouldn't even meddle in the California gay marriage controversy. So, there you have it, I don't think political party has ANYTHING to do with those issues.
Let me clarify something...I am not discussing social issues here. I don’t agree with a lot of Obama’s socialist programs, etc. Look, I come from a socialist country. I know how socialized programs work and I will be the first to tell you that they are not necessarily the best option. That is why I am not at all endorsing Barack Obama’s liberal views. I am not supporting abortion or gay marriage, that is not my stance.
I am coming from a different angle. We each have our issues and my personal concern is the overall international perception of the country. This is my concern because it hits home for me and my family. Each of us have our issues that we are passionate about; and therefore, we vote accordingly. That is why a democracy is so awesome.
What is interesting to me is that American politics are set up to either be for one party or the other. This is something I never clearly understood as Canadians have more than two parties that vary on issues and it isn’t either/or. This is one of the reasons why I find it interesting when people talk about Jesus being either Democrat or Republican. I don’t think we could ever sum it up into one party or the other. I believe his view on issues is far different from our political structure. I find it a little presumptuous of us to believe that we can define Jesus’ standing according to our limited human understanding. To say that Jesus would say universal health care is more humane than the privatized health care now is simplistic and difficult for me—in my limited knowledge—to judge. However, as voters, we must judge. How we judge is personal and usually targeted on what we believe to be important. That is why democracy is so awesome.
So, Anna, I am speaking according to my experience and so are you. I am not at all offended or bothered by your opinions because I can see what you deem important and I am sure you voted accordingly. For me, at this time in my life, foreign politics are important. How my children are viewed within the societies I live in is important. I think it is just great that we can have this discussion. That is what makes America so great. So no harm done, and I am so happy you enjoy reading my blog.
BTW -I know I am reviving this from the dead (and it can now be laid to rest) but I wanted to clarify some things.
Ah-HA, see the anonymous commenter was right, you were just speaking from your perspective. I would like to differ with "notorious." Anon. commenters are great because it is a way to see what people are really thinking but are too polite to say. Who would deny themselves that gem of an opportunity? I think it is especially fair here since your blog is listed publicly on Mormon Mommy Blogs and since you are discussing politics in a somewhat inflammatory way. I wish you'd bring your "anon" feature back, but whatever.
Sasha, what exactly is inflammatory about what Terah said? I'm curious to hear what you say, because I don't see it . . .
Post a Comment