Thursday, November 27, 2008

Nepali Wedding

q15

The blushing bride

It is wedding season in Nepal and Axel and I went to another wedding last night. My didis insisted that I wear a sari, so I obliged. There are so many rules to the sari. You have to have certain shoes, jewellery, makeup, etc. If I didn't have my maids dress me, I would surely be an embarrassment. I suppose it was embarrassing enough that people saw me wearing the same sari twice. The Nepalese people are not particular about much, but saris and gold are two things they will critique. Therefore, Axel insisted that I buy another sari soon so I don't get stuck going to another function in the same sari. Oh, the shame!

q2

Axel greeting the bride's family

q1

The Nepalese people LOVE taking photos. They will jump into anyone's photo, and they will take pictures of you whether you like it or not. When going to parties like this, you must have a permagrin on your face at all times. You never know when you are going to see a flash. It is usually when I am eating like a cow or scolding my children.

q12

q6

The bride's family insisted that Axel and I sit at the front with the bride.

q4

q7

Looks like it is time to get more sun

q8

q9

q14

The cutest Nepali outfit ever!

q16

A beautiful celebration!

We never did see the groom. I am not even sure if he was there. But from the look on the bride's face, it looked to me like a 'love marriage'.

Yeah for love!

2 comments:

Linsey said...

You guys looks all fancy in your silver suit and hot pink sari. What a fun opportunity. But, definitely get another sari, we wouldn't you to embarrass yourself.

Chavez loyalists won 17 of the 22 governorships, but the 5 they lost were very important and represent nearly 35% of the population. Luckily the elections were fairly peaceful, but it looks as if his domination is waning...one can only hope.

Eric and Hilary said...

your comment about needing more sun made me laugh. mostly because i can totally relate and i am really pasty right now. you are cute.