Monday, September 8, 2008

Sorry about the Sari

I bought a sari in India. At the time, I didn't realize that it was just a 6 meter sheet of fabric. I took it home and it sat in my closet for well over a year. Where the heck do you wear a sari, being white, in Dubai? I didn't think it was such a practical purchase, but you can't travel to India without buying one.

Luckily, Nepal has fantastic tailors who can work their magic with saris. I took mine in and told her I needed a LONG shirt to cover my Gs. She looked at me strange and said okay.

Apparently okay meant, 'I think that is weird and, as a Nepali, I refuse to make something that is not traditional.' Therefore, the shirt underneath is a postage stamp barely covering anything. As I was trying it on at the tailor, Axel picked me up to go to a work event. I had no choice but to wear it for 4 hours.

Sari observations:

saris are HOT (both meanings)

saris are fun but hard to walk in

saris are one of the most feminine things you can wear

local people LOVE it when a white person wears one

and if your Mormon, tailor your own blouse.

z1

z2

z3

8 comments:

Jen R. said...

This is so beautiful! I want one now. I saw you on mormon mommy bloggers and I'm in love with your life...and your blog :) I've peeked around before but I don't think I ever commented. I love to travel, but married a non-traveler. Don't worry, he'll learn the joys!

Boquinha said...

Pretty in pink, Terah! I love those, too. I've coveted them for a long time.

Taku, Beverly, Kanae and Makoto said...

you look beautiful!

Bonnie said...

That looks really pretty on you and oh so modest. I really like the colors in it. How often do you wear something like that there?

Paige said...

You look so good! And I love the bindi. My favorite thing about women in sari's is the fat roll glimpse you get from the side. You don't have that. Bummer.

Summer said...

You look stunning? You look like you are covered enough.

I have had some interesting conversations with ethnic clothing vendors. Usually they are trying to tell me in not so tactful ways that I am not quite the target body type for their clothing. I am usually an XXXL in chinese clothing.

Other times I pass up clothing because it isn't modest and they don't understand that either.

Anna said...

So hot and gorgeous. I hope Axel stood all amazed.

Jenibelle said...

So gorgeous!! I actually know how to drape one, I did the costumes at temple pagaent years ago and went to an Indian lady who spent 4 hours with me teaching me over and over how to do the fold and drape.
Yours is stunning!!