Me, in a week. Only not with the goofy bangs, or the short skirt, or the dumb smile on my face. Okay, it isn't me at all. But you get the idea.
Tis the season to be glued to the computer. The countdown is on and I am about to be looking at the computer screen every other week until I go cross eyed.
I am a faculty member at the number one graduate school for international business back in the states. It is truly an international school with excellent students (I have to say that cause my husband used to be one). My students are primarily from South America; the school is based in Arizona; and I am remotely grading papers in Kathmandu. Yeah for globalization!
My graduate degree is in communications. Although I focused mainly on theoretical work , my degree (luckily) translated to something practical, Business Comm. I got over my ideological view of the world and accept that corporations can do a little good in the world too. (This happened the minute I walked out from my commencement and realized there is a real world out there. Sad realization, but a rite of passage nevertheless).
My job is seasonal. Sometimes spring and fall; sometimes just fall. It is perfect because I am on and off every other week for three months. I stay at home, listen to students gripe and change diapers all in the same hour. It is exhausting when I am immersed but it keeps the wheels turning.
I am going on my 8th year of work and I have felt so blessed to have this job. I have an amazing mentor. He has taught me so much and has given me a lot of independence as well. It keeps my resume current and blesses us with monetary funds as well. I can't complain, so I won't.
One day, I may just be back in the classroom teaching. But for now, I am soaking up Nepal, enjoying my kids, and tending to my virtual profession (other than blogging).
4 comments:
Love it! I bet you're fabulous. I knew you were doing something like this. So glad you have that. I hear you on keeping the wheels turning . . . LOVE it. I do counseling one day a week in our home-based clinic and it's perfect. That, homeschooling, book club, blogging, etc. . . . all good. :)
Work haha
sounds fun
you really grade papers while in a different country though? Thats just insane haha.
Also...you used Except, when you should have used in Accept. haha
(I'm a future English Major!)
Stacey, it is all good. Thank goodness for our degrees to give us options.
James - You are so right. That is what I get for writing during the wee hours of the night.
Ug. I hate hate hate knowing that you have to married to the computer in a few weeks. Ignoring all else. Can I borrow your working people in 2 weeks when I mind meld with my computer?
Post a Comment