I can't really recall a time in my life I wished that time would stop. I am the one who is always looking ahead wondering what life is like on the other side of the fence. It started in elementary school ('If I get leg warmers and matching socks for all my shirts, grade 6 will be totally rad!'), and it kept being a standard practice in my life
....until now.
I am realizing that the time is passing and I am finally content with this moment--now. I have never been in a better place at a better stage of my life. To wish it away or to even look ahead seems almost blasphemous.
I want to be forever the young mom that loves every second she gets to share with her kids. I want to be in a new country, experiencing new things (tasting, eating, feeling) and I want to enjoy the wonder of what the next 1o years will bring.
I want to have my oldest be almost 6 when she thinks I am the coolest woman in the world and actually LOVES to be seen with me and wants me to teach her about life and being a woman. I want her to write me stories about horses and princesses and talk about making good choices. I want her to play with my hair and love pink and think bubble gum is just the greatest treat ever.
I want my son to be fearless, funny, and sweet with his siblings and call his legs 'tails' by accident. I want him to be excited to climb on monkey bars and pretend he is a different superhero every day. I want to see my son learn how to write 'I love you', and see the pride he feels when he reads a book. I want to see him need a kiss at night from his mom, and enjoy nestling in bed to talk about his day.
I want a two year old who freely walks around naked and loving it. I want her to pat my back when I hold her and smile at me when I lay her in her crib to sleep. I want her to dance funny jigs and say 'pooh pooh de' or 'Da poutz' when she has to go to the bathroom. I want to see her walk around with confidence and exude happiness and joy when she is around others. I want her to beg for tickles from her dad, and hear the screechy noises of pure excitement when he does.
I want my baby to smile when he sees me and I always want him to be rolly and polly. I want him to wake at 5am every morning to feed and always fit in my arms. I want him to never grow out of his onesies, and be fine with me dressing him like a sailor. I want him to be excited every time he sees a dog, and laugh out loud when his brother dances silly in front of him.
I want to see my husband be in perfect health to do all his hobbies, and still have the energy to succeed in his job. I want to see him have the confidence in his future, and yet, love the wonder of what is coming next. I want him to learn how to lead, and yet, discover how to avoid politics. I want him to take on new hobbies with vigour and vim and master them with precision and passion.
I want to be wiser than I was yesterday and still know I have a lot more to learn. I want to be excited about projects and dresses that I can make my children. I want to have the job I have where I can stay home, enjoy my kids and still keep my brain working. I want to be fit, happy, and energetic each and every day.
In the end, I want to stop the clock. I want to be here. It is my perfect moment in time. I know there are struggles in having 4 kids 5 years old and under, but I also know I must cherish every second of every day because it will never happen again. I know I will be 70 one day and wonder where the time went. The only thing I can hope for is that I remember I was cognizant of it passing...
fast...
and I didn't want it to go.
7 comments:
What job are you working from home right now, other than being a mom?
Beautiful. Wonderfully written, deeply thoughtful, and beautifully poignant. Thanks for sharing.
I think you'd love anything written by John Cabot Zinn. I can't recommend it highly enough.
So don't you think it's sadly ironic that we learn to love the moment we're in when time seems to start travelling faster?
That was beautiful. I was brought back to my years with young kids while reading this.
Enjoy these days but take comfort in the fact that at each stage there are more days like this.
I miss those times, but I'm really loving that my teenagers are so independent and helpful and that they love their younger sister so much. I love that my husband and I have the freedom to go to the store together or out to eat on whim without having to worry about babysitters etc...
Life is and will continue to be full of special times like these.
You made me cry, again!
My 'baby' has her first bra and is fretting 'Can you see it mum?'
I wish time would stay put too. But I'm also looking forward to dancing around my kitchen singing Billy Idol or Abba songs REALLY LOUD with her too.
The new steps are just as sweet, Terah. Then you are glad they can do new things like think of ideas you didn't or crack you up by telling a clever story. Teenagers are so fun. Plus, did I mention the zits?
Hi Terah, your children are just too cute!"Stopping Time" brought back alot of memories. I also had 4 kids , 5 and under once. When Farrah turned 5, Neal was born. I do look back at that period of my life with great joy!It sounds like you have figured out how to enjoy the journey, that's hugh!
I'm glad your loving your life.
Colleen
Post a Comment