Friday, November 21, 2008

A Worthy Cause

Ever since I found out we were moving to Nepal, I was so excited to do some humanitarian work. Dubai was so full of wealth, there was little opportunity to really make a difference. I knew Nepal would be different.

After months of searching for the right option, I contacted a humanitarian organization just down the road. They assist with children who have been put on the streets, sexually exploited or used for child labour. It is a worthy cause and I am so happy to be part of it.

My first project has been to work with this young girl who is from the squatter area. She has been working with this organization for 5 years now doing research and assisting for no pay. She has been chosen to represent Nepal at a world convention to help stop the sexual exploitation of children.

My main job was to discuss the many stories she would have to share with others at the convention. It was a difficult task and it really opened my eyes. I had to stop sharing the stories with Axel as it freaked him out even more having young children overseas.

I spent at least two hours a day with Sabina before she left. At this moment, she is now on a plane headed for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She had never been on a plane or ever really outside of Kathmandu. To say the least, this will be a life changing experience for her. I am so excited to get the report when she returns.

x1

In the meanwhile, I will be visiting the various homes where these women and children will be housed. I will be working with women to help educate them and assist them with marketing their handicrafts. The goal of the organization is to save these people from their circumstances, counsel them, empower them with a skill, and have them help others.

It is awesome and I am so excited to be part of it.

4 comments:

terahreu said...

This is Axel. I am NOT so enthusiastic, but so long as my driver is always around her with a big knife, I guess I will get used to it.

And those stories. Ugh. I will never complain again about anything. My life is way too good.

Summer said...

This is so much in the world that goes on that is shocking to us and normal life for others.

When my life seems challenging, it is easy to find reasons to be grateful when I compare my life with women around the world.

Sally said...

This is great. If there are opportunities for your stateside friends to help, please blog about it.

Boquinha said...

Wow, sounds like a very fulfilling service opportunity for you. Keep us posted.