
We have lately been without electricity for 14 hours a day. This is during the awake hours, which means we have a very small window of time when we actually do have electricity. How does one live without electricity? This was something I wondered when I found out I was moving to Nepal and would be living without electricity on a daily basis.
It is funny how easily we have adjusted to this new way of living. We play a lot of games as a family, and we do a lot of reading. Our refrigerators stay closed and we just hope things don't spoil. The kids play outside a lot during the day and Axel takes advantage of the daylight so he can do his carving. It is odd how life has become more fulfilling without electricity. The creative juices just start flowing.
Every time the electricity comes back on, Sedona does a little jig and sings, 'lectriciteee, lectriciteee!!!' It almost makes not having electricity worth it.
4 comments:
Ah the joys of learning to do without. Sometimes it can be nice. We have rolling water outages, not my favorite.
I remember living in Honduras and we would would have times when the power would go out. But the best is when you take a shower in the early morning and the water would be freezing, but if you took it in the afternoon the water would be so hot. The joys of the sun being a natural heater and having to time things acordingly. These are the things I wish my children could experience so that they may hopefully appreciate all that they do have.
Ha Ha. I am sitting here plugged in to my lap top, watching Monk on a DVD and my friend is upstairs using my sewing machine. Sorry. Think of it as being green.
When I was a kid and hurricanes would roll into the northeast, we'd be without water and electricity for a week or more at a time. I LOVED it. For many of the same reasons you've listed.
Post a Comment