The trip was a blast. I went into complete culture shock the minute I got off the plane. Things in Dubai glisten--the floors, the windows, the walls, and the toilet seats. It was hard on my eyes at first. Everything in Nepal is so dark. It was like someone just took a bottle of Lysol and poured it all over everything.
The other odd thing was the A/C. I forgot about how people there try to compensate for the heat outside by blaring their A/Cs. The taxi driver had his A/C going full blast and it was only 70 degrees outside. But I digress. I did the exactly same thing when I lived there too. I just noticed it now cause I don't even have that option in Kathmandu. It was strange to think I needed a sweater more in Dubai right now than in Nepal.
It was shocking how much Dubai changed since we left. The roads were completely different and Axel and I would pass a huge building and say 'Hey...That wasn't there before'. The taxi drivers don't even know how to go anywhere cause the routes continually change. I am not saying one taxi driver, I mean ALL taxi drivers.
I had so many interesting observations because I was now looking at Dubai through my Nepali lenses. I am not sure how the Nepalese maids or construction workers actually function in such a society. The culture shock was big for me. I can't imagine how it would seem for someone who comes from a small Nepali village where running water is a luxury. I really looked at the labourers differently. I have seen where they have come from and I see where they are now.
We got to see so many of our great friends while we were there. Our time was so limited and there were a million other people I would have loved to have seen. I guess we will just have to plan another trip!
Veronica and Andreas
Totally stolen from Vero's Facebook. Sorry, guys. I was having so much fun with you that we forgot the camera!
Our first night was spent with our very good friends Veronica and Andreas. They got married very shortly after Axel and I arrived in Dubai. Veronica is Chilean and the sweetest person I know. She has the most pure heart and I love to talk to her. I also got to be pregnant with Asa at the same time that she was pregnant with her first baby, Leonore. She is the cutest thing ever! She also worked at my daughter's school and graciously watched Heavah and Xavier while Axel and I took our trip to India.
Andreas is one of those unique guys who can speak several languages and claim a few nationalities. His mom was Chilean and German and his father is Iraqi. He has lived all over and I still don't know where he claims 'home'. He served his mission in Salt Lake City and is undoubtedly one of the nicest guys I know. The time passed so quickly during our visit and I am just hoping their next place of residence will be convenient enough so I can go see them!
Bishop and Kelli Allen
Axel and the Bishop in front of their carpet we coveted the entire time we were there. Kelly and I were too busy talking to take photos together.
When we moved to Dubai there was only one ward. It seemed every week it grew by 10 %. Within weeks of our arrival, they split the ward and Brother Allen became the Branch President of the Sharjah branch. Now, within two years, the Sharjah branch has become a ward that is now so big that they are talking about splitting it again. The other Dubai ward has been split as well. By next year, there could potentially be 2 wards and 2 new branches out of that one ward from 2 years ago! It is growing at a phenomenal rate. What is especially exciting about the growth is that several of the Filipino members are bringing their families to Dubai. There is nothing more awesome than that!
Bishop and Kelli Allen were the kindest people to us. Kelli would have me visit at her home with my cranky baby and she would swing him in her arms until he crashed. We would chat about politics, family, motherhood, etc. and those conversations were so therapeutic. She also always gave me great book recommendations. In fact, I am now stuck on Thousand Splendid Suns since I've left, thanks to her!
Bishop Allen is one of those people you could listen to for hours. He has so many stories from his many experiences that you always sit captivated in what he is saying. He gave Axel a blessing before we left Dubai and it truly spoke to our hearts. I am still pulling for the Bishop and Kelli to come out to Nepal so we can return the favour of having us crash at their home for the few days we were there!
Derek and Jennie White
It is funny how things work in life. You really never know when your paths will ever cross again. I met Jennie at my friend Kim's house in Delaware. Jennie had just had her second child, Kirsten and I just has my first son, Xavier. We ended up being in the same ward for quite sometime. When I told Derek and Jennie that Axel and I were destined to live overseas for the rest of our lives, they didn't really understand why. Jennie had no intention of ever going overseas and was baffled by Axel and my interest in the Middle East.
As fate would have it, they ended up moving to England. For Jennie, I am sure she thought this was a temporary move and hoped to go back stateside. I guess God had other plans because after Axel and I had lived in Dubai for a year, we received an email from Derek saying he had a job opportunity there. What a surprise! They packed up their life in England and moved to Dubai. So strange how things work.
Not only that, but Jennie was in dire need of a maid just around the time that Haleni headed back for Dubai. Now, Haleni works for Jennie. I am so happy for Haleni and Jennie! It worked out perfectly for both of them.
The Henrys, Derek, Us, and Jennie.
Tammy and Bill Henry
Both Tammy and Bill knew Axel long before they came to Dubai. They all grew up in the same ward in Michigan. Tammy sent me an email showing some apprehension of accepting a job in the Middle East, for obvious reasons. But, I replied -- 'Go for it!' They came out to visit before they moved to Dubai and it was so strange to be in a restaurant together discussing Axel's past and his family members. It was one of those times you look around and think, 'is this real?' They came here with their 6 kids and seem really happy with their life here. Bill is hilarious and Tammy is his perfect companion.
My one regret is that we didn't live closer to the Henrys cause they were always so fun to have around. Their kids are nice, confident, and full of personality. Heavah and Xavier LOVE them. I was so thankful they set aside a night for us to chat with them.
Haleni
On our last day we were so lucky enough to see Haleni. As I mentioned before, Haleni now works for Derek and Jennie. She seemed happy with her arrangement in Dubai and I was so happy to see her. It was fun to talk in Indonesian again and discuss things that were important to her. We talked everyday so it was definitely like seeing a long, lost friend. She was so sad we didn't bring the kids, but I have a feeling it won't be the last time we will see her.
Moving so much isn't always the easiest, but I am so thankful for the relationships that I have formed throughout the years. It is amazing to know so many people in so many different parts of the world. I have come to find out that the world gets smaller and smaller the more places you see and the more people you meet. Axel and I always joke by saying that no one will be at our funerals. Everyone lives too far away. That is why I am glad our friendships are eternal.
1 comment:
When I returned to Portugal from West Africa, it was FAR more Culture Shock than when I'd arrived in West Africa. Reverse culture shock is MUCH harder, I think.
Post a Comment