Thursday, November 20, 2008

Woodcarving Part II

This is Axel. I have finished another three wood carvings. Well, not 100% finished. I still have a few things to do on them but what the heck, I thought I would post them.

First is the Celtic Dragon. I already posted some pictures of this one, but now it is stained and I added the runic writing on the outside. Here it is stained:

x1

On the sides I put our family's names in Runic alphabet.

You can see the top is John Ax el Bromley, the right side says Heavah Saxon Sedona Yael, bottom Terah Reu Bromley and left side says Xavier Connell Asa Frdrk.

Then sticking with the Celtic design I wanted to do one that was the Tree of Life. I also wanted to incorporate the Jewish Kabala Tree of Life. It is composed of a female and male side with different things. (IE, the female side is Wisdom, the Male is Intelligence and when they are together they are Knowledge - True on all accounts).

Here is mine. I still have to carve in the Hebrew in the circles and the fire on the flaming swords of Cheribum aren't done yet either, but you get the picture:

x2

A shot of the top and bottom. You can see I tried to get the Ankh in there too. It is also the symbol in Egypt of life:

x4

x3

Then since I did one of the Tree of Life I thought I would do one of the Tree of Good and Evil. I still haven't finished the leaves on the top, but it is mostly done.

x16

The top has 9 fruits. Or 3x3 to symbolize the Godhead. I am going to put in Elohim on three, Jehovah on three and Holy Spirit on three.

x4

Then of course the Serpent. You can see how deep this one is. It was a pain in the butt to do. I think I am only going to do shallow ones from now on. This one took three times as long to do.

On the bottom I did the Ying and Yan to symbolize that Good cannot exist without Evil and viceversa.

Also if you look the roots are the Jewish star of David. A triangle pointing down (representing Eve, or the female reproduction power) and a triangle pointing up (Adam - male reproductive power). With the serpent/Satan intertwined with them both as they chose to follow him first, not God.

x5

Anyways I don't know if I am going to stain this one or paint it.

Lastly is the sarcophagus lid to Pacal Votan found in Palenque.

Here is what it looks like for real:

It was long said that the pyramids in Mexico were NOT the same as the ones in Egypt because the ones in Egypt were for burial and the ones in Mexico were for other religious rites. UNTIL this pyramid was found and it was proven that they also were for burial. Here is the pyramid:

The Temple of Inscriptions, Palenque, Mex. The mountain element was represented by the Mayan …[Credits : Courtesy of Shostal—EB Inc. & C. Reyes]

Anyways, here is mine. I simplified it as you can see. Hey, I am still learning....

x9

The top of the tree/cross you will see a bird (Quezltcotal or the White Bearded God - Jesus). Some flying angels nearby.

x13

Then the Tree of Life, with a Cross clearly in it, then Pacal Votan himself in supplication.

x12

and finally a monster of the underworld below him.

x11

It was a hard one to to as it is twice as long as the other two. But it was fun. The whole thing is VERY Book of Mormon. A good one to have in the house.

Anyways, this one I am going to paint in Mayan/Olmec colors. I don't know how it will turn out. I like the Aztec pictures. I think I will do a few more of them. I want to do one just of Queztlcotal as the feather serpent. Then maybe one of a Mayan warrior. And put up 'In defence of our lands...'

But it might take a while. Now the sun comes up at 730 and it is really too cold to do it outside and load share is every night, so no electricity to do it inside. I think I am done for the winter. I will start up again when the sun comes out again. Plus I want to go to Thailand to get some good chisels. The ones I have now are not that good. The Thai are the masters of wood carving. I mean how do they do this???

I have a ways to go.... Maybe one day we will be stationed in Thailand and I will get a chance to learn from the masters.

5 comments:

Paige said...

WOW. I'm voting for you for the Ensign art contest.

Boquinha said...

Wow, Axel. Very impressive.

You guys would totally kick butt on the Amazing Race.

Dr. Mark said...

I am really impressed, Axel. A surprise up every sleeve!

Anna said...

Where's mine? As I recall you have some quilt craft from me...come on. It's so cool.

Jane Breckenridge said...

Yes, I would like to place an order. Christmas is just around the corner and remember the yellow blanket I crocheted?? Payback, baby! The serpent is serious so amazing, Ax. Good job. People still are commenting on the oriental bird cage you made.