Unintentionally, we are the most environmentally friendly family I know. I also now realize how much energy and waste I was contributing to the environment before we moved here. Dubai was the worst. Everyone there leaves their doors WIDE open in the dead of the summer with the A/C blaring. Also, the number of SUV's on the streets makes it apparent that fuel prices are a nonissue.
So, while I live in Nepal I can feel fairly confident that my footprint on the environment is minimal. No guilt trips here from any tree hugger...
We have solar panels to heat our water - So when the sun don't shine, the water ain't hot.
Our solar panels on our roof
We have no electricity from 7pm to 9pm - All the lights are out at 7. We have a few rechargeable lights to read a book and by 9, we are out.
We conserve all our water - Cause if we don't, we have a huge problem. First we need to call the water company to come fill our tanks. Once the phone call is made, we need to wait a couple of days before the water actually arrives. It is a huge incentive not to have those long, soothing baths that I love so much (it does help that the water is yellow and unappealing anyways).
We have 3 of these. Once it is gone, it is gone.
Axel drives a motorbike to work - It cracks me up every time I see him get on this bike and ride to work. But, since our driver typically goes home by 6 or so, it is nice to have this as an alternative. Plus, the kids love a motorbike ride with their dad. If Axel (the motorbike lover) were beside me right now he would make me write that this bike sucks and he is in the market for buying a sweet ride called the Bajaj. I am sure he will argue it is good on gas mileage. I am not sure I care THAT much.
We dry all our clothes on a line - I don't have much choice in this matter. Right now my dyer is sitting at a port in India somewhere, but even when it does arrive, I think it will be only used on special occasions. It takes too much of our energy, which will cause us to have further problems with our battery--a pain in the butt! So, when I am craving a moment of luxury, I will tumble a towel for 20 minutes. It is the simple things, I tell you.
We have an organic garden with all the fix'ns - We've got corn, carrots, peppers, cardamom, peas, okra, squash, snake beans, etc. in the works. In less than a month, no more vegetable market visits where they sneeze and clear out their noses on the veggies. We also have a nice selection of plums, pomegranates, pomelos, mangos, and peaches arriving soon.
Pomegranate tree
Mango tree
We never use the A/C - Although we have one, we never use it. The owners of this house are a Tibetan and Nepalese couple. They consulted a Feng Shui expert before they made this house. He said that the house has a good energy flow and that air will move smoothly. I don't know if that is all a load of crap, but I believe it. This place never really gets hot and it always seems to be a comfortable temperature.
We don't use diapers - Okay, sometimes we do, but since the whole 'rhea episode, Sedona is really comfortable being in the buff. It is all fine with me cause she seems to be more interested in potty training as a result. As for baby Asa, he's constantly covered. I figured one is better than nothing. I just can't handle the breastfeeding poops.
So, now I can watch 11th Hour with ease. Phew.
Do I still get points even if I am forced to be a conservationists?
3 comments:
Great post, Terah. Love to see the day-to-day stuff in addition to the outings and trips.
Claim any points you want. You've earned it!
Oh, the little things we take for granted. I remember the days of washing all our clothes by hand and hanging them up in our apartment in Russia. We got to bathe in brown water, too. Sometimes we never knew if we were going to get freezing cold, or scalding hot water, or any at all. Babies there didn't wear diapers, either. I didn't hold them much.
I love the garden. I would love to have one like that. Nothing like fresh garden vegetables. Good job on the garden.
Post a Comment