Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mayhem Moments

z1

Usually my kids take turns with their naughtiness. For instance, Xavier will pour all of the shampoo out the window while Heavah angelically sits and reads a book. Or, Sedona will turn the water cooler on and splash in the puddles while Asa sleeps peacefully amidst all the confusion. I honestly believe they have a planning meeting each morning to discuss whose turn it is to wreak havoc for the day. I am positive rock/paper/scissors are involved.

However, when daddy leaves for a few days, all bets are off. That planning meeting doesn't happen and instead, they feel these days are free-for-all aka 'whoever can cause the most problems wins!' Weee....

Yesterday was no exception. While Asa decided even though he is cranky and tired, he is no longer a newborn and therefore no longer needs to sleep like a newborn; Sedona thought toothpaste would be a nice paint for her walls; Xavier was convinced that ALL the cereal from the box should be poured into a big bowl with milk because a 4 year old is a growing boy, no? And, Heavah thought that she was a preteen already and therefore had to describe to me why the world isn't fair and having a younger sister isn't so much fun sometimes. If these issues happened at separate times, no problem. But everyone of these problems had to be solved NOW!!!

How is it possible that I have two full time maids and myself entertaining the kids all day long and we still fall in bed with exhaustion? Furthermore, why do they wait for daddy to leave? In times like these do they look at me like a wounded gazelle in the African desert ? "Look, the big guy is gone. She is one foot in the grave guys...on the count of three..."

I have lucked out with good kids and usually the catastrophes are just a normal part of the child rearing experience. Its right up there with cleaning poop and puke. Don't love it, but you chose to have the little ones and it comes with the territory. The only thing I ask is please, get in line and take your turn.

7 comments:

Taku, Beverly, Kanae and Makoto said...

Hilarious!! I think I would have enjoyed growing up in your household... lots of co-conspirators!! It's a good thing you can blog about it to release the frustration and laugh it off...

Boquinha said...

Funny and I feel your pain, too. :P Good times. Cherish them. :)

Lindsay Cranmer said...

I'm pretty much terrified to have more children right now, one active child and a baby is all I can take, and you have 4!
So it sounds like I can expect a break and chance to relax when? Don't answer that, I don't want to know!

Jolene said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but I have four kids as well. They are a lot older than your four - 3 teens and an 8 year old. Their dad is out of town this week and it is the same thing. Messes every where I turn, one needs to go here - another there, they are fighting with each other and causing general chaos. You'd think they grow out of it - but they don't. I seriously believe that the first 15 minutes after my husband walks in the door from work are the happiest minutes in my day. Good luck to you - I feel your pain.

Cami Severson said...

Hahaha! I am right there with ya. Our Four boys are 10x the trouble, this house was ruined the day we moved in. It may be a pain, but it makes for great stories!

Cute picture, by the way!

Paige said...

I really think you need that third maid/nanny. Then you can just cuddle the baby and convince him he is still one, while the others can wreak their havoc on someone else.

My kids are never naughty or bad. And I'm good at saving money. And my husband is good at being home by 5. And I never lie.

Paige said...

But that little Sedona is too cute in that picture!