Saturday, July 5, 2008

Meat

During our time in the Middle East, we went without pork. Now, since we moved to a Hindu country, we are going without beef. Eating beef in Nepal is illegal. Marijuana, yes; beef, no.

Going without beef hasn't been so bad. Really, we have many other options like these...

z1

z2

z3

z4

As you can see, buffalo tongue is possible to eat (pictured above next to the tasty goat head). The texture is nice, and if it is served with a mix of chicken gizzards, I hear it makes a nice snack. Yummy!

Funny enough, my appetite for something meaty has disappeared since we arrived in Nepal. I have no idea why....

7 comments:

Rachel said...

suddenly the vegetarian lifestyle looks much more appealing to me. You are so brave to live in such an interesting place!

Anonymous said...

I am sad about the beef cause it appeals to me much more than any of the options. Considering how the cows looked when we were all in India though I may be happy just eating the fruit from your trees in your back yard.

I am not sure from your photos though that you are encouraging us to still come to visit, unless of course you have found a maid who does massage and yoga.

Love ya
mom

Boquinha said...

Reminds me of West Africa a little bit. We didn't eat meat there either. Only fish. Delicious, fresh fish. Yum.

Paige said...

I would totally eat the goat head if I could have the pot first. Are the commandments different in Tibet? B/c then I'd be there.

Good Time Charlie said...

Wow, the site of the goat head would get me off of meat very quickly. I hear vegetarianism is a good way to go. Good thing you have that nice garden coming in. Fascinating pictures. Thanks!

Summer said...

I love how everything is just hanging around with no sign of any sort of hygiene. I am vegetarian and still looks so awful!

~B said...

funny how life in Nepal is turning you a bit more "granola/birkenstock" (conservationists and vegetarians oh my!). Love that you snap those kinds of public-place photos I'm too 'chicken' to take.