Friday, July 18, 2008

Pageant

When I am away from my home in Canada, this time of year always brings me a tad bit of sadness. I feel like I should be getting in my car, eating egg salad sandwiches, and heading south/east for Palmyra.

img050

Ah, the '70s. (I'm the bald one).

I have such fond memories of the pageant. For a nonUtahan, it was especially exciting to see so many of 'my people' in one place (not to mention so many cute LDS boys in one place). It was so fun to scan the license plates to see who drove the farthest, or watch the venomous anti-Mormons on the other side of the road (seriously, do they have nothing better to do with their time?) Anyways, there was just a lot of Mormoness going on and I loved being a part of it.

My family enjoyed the pageant so much that we even participated in it when I was around 7 years old. My mom was Emma Smith, my dad was Hyrum (I think), and I was just some Nephite kid. I guess my acting skills weren't up to par then. (Cause they so are now...)

z1

It seemed that we never missed a year. I even recall one year when we decided to 'camp' (oh the days when not splurging on a hotel was a sign of strength and frugality--the Mormon way. Just like making daily homemade bread when it costs a buck at the grocery store). My dad and I decided to sleep under a transport truck (could this possibly be true, or are my childhood exaggerated memories at play here?). Whatever we did, we ended up waking up with black oil all over our clothing the next day. Good thing we skimped on that 30 bucks it would have cost for a hotel cause now we had to buy a new $20 polo shirt for me and a new $25 'Member's Only' jacket for my dad.

Years later, I was lucky enough to participate in the pageant again just before I headed to college (after much pestering to my parents, cause college wasn't expensive enough). I didn't have the coordination to make the cut as a flashy Lamanite Dancer. Instead, was just some lame Lamanite (the unrighteous kind, no less). However, I did have a cool black wig and I carried a heavyweight flag (so I guess I wasn't completely useless). But poor casting aside, the experience was influential in my life and I always vowed I wanted to do it again with my kids. One day...

z1

The pageant has always been worth the 3 hour drive. Even in the old days when they didn't use pyrotechnic effects, it was still awesome. There's the cool summer New York weather, the music that stirs all sorts of emotions, the destruction scene, the fight scenes, and, of course, the Christ scene. It all rocks and I am so sad cause I'm missing it.

Right now, I don't think I could be farther away from Palmyra, New York if I tried. So, maybe you all can share a happy pageant memory just so I can remember what I am missing...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so different now. I went last year, after not being there since I was a teenager. There are no more scantily clad Lamanites or members of King Noah's harem.

Everyone is completely covered and dressed in much more conservative costumes.

The effects are definitely more complex and impressive. I still love the sequence with Lehi's dream and the tree of life.

I wish I could be in the Pageant. Maybe someday I can go with my husband and son.

Anna said...

My friend and her 6 kids are flying back there to do that. It's the richie mormon vacation. Not too selfish like taking a cruise or something. Wouldn't want that. I pass on the egg sandwich though.

Jolene said...

I live in AZ where there is a huge pageant at Easter time.

When I was in high school I got to be one of the angels heralding in the birth of the Savior. We climbed up to a special platform on top of the stage to do our dance with long golden trumpets. It was kind of scary if the wind would blow or anything but it was one of the most spiritual experiences I had up to that point in my life.

I agree with Anna - I have always thought that the Palmyra pageant was a rich Mormon vacation. If I'm ever rich I want to take my kids to do that.

sb said...

David and I just got back from the pageant - we've never been before and had a great time. I was really impressed with all of the effects: the waterfalls, fire, pyrotechnics, ship sail that broke apart from the "lightning", rain, and the huge number of people onstage that knew exactly where they were supposed to be and when. I couldn't believe how well set up everything was - there were chairs for all and plenty of parking (although it took forever to get out of there). I still don't know what those antis think they're doing, though - from what they were shouting, I really doubt they have good intentions.

Here at home said...

I've never been to that pageant. Someday I'd like to go. It sounds so awesome. Oh, the memories. Aren't they great.

Jordan LaBar said...

Hey i came here from my moms blog!! (BON BON) I really like your blog!!! I have read a few posts and laugh almost every time!!!

Bonnie said...

I love pageants! We always did the Manti one. I can relate to all of the excitement that builds up to it. It was a great place for us teenagers to go. Not sure if I will ever get to go to the NY one or not. I would sure love to. I would take the egg sandwich.

Boquinha said...

Yep, I remember the pageant, too. I went at least a couple of times as a teen as well. Hey, maybe I saw you in the play! :P 6 hours from my hometown. I met L. Tom Perry at the top of the hill one time. He is a very tall man!!