Saturday, July 12, 2008

Salon

I was cursed blessed with the curls. It took a while, but once my hair grew in, I had cute little ringlets. It was all fine and dandy until I turned about 12 and those curly locks turned into nasty locks. I contended with my hair ever since.

img021 xay

Xavier got the curls. Good thing, he can keep it short and cute.

I have had so many hair changes there isn't enough space on the Internet to describe all the successes and failures of my hair (I may give it a try when I finally get my photos, which are in India. Did I mention that before????).

I finally was patient enough to grow my hair long. It always looked fabulous (that is, when I actually blew dry it, pulled it with a big hair brush and messed with my bangs, which only happened maybe once every 3 weeks). I am a pretty simple person and therefore, I hated all the time that my hair consumed in my day.

While living in the states, I called many places to have my hair permanently straightened but A. It cost a bucket of money; B. No stylist could guarantee it would turn out. I finally got sick of my hair and decided that I would call a salon in Kathmandu to see if rebonding was even possible. I figured, what they hell, if it turns out horribly bad this is the place for it to happen. If serious damage was done, I simply needed to shave my head, wear a burgundy sheet and mediate for 7 hours a day. It is TOTALLY in here.

z1

What do you know, I found a woman who didn't speak a word of English and had a one room salon around the corner from my house. It wasn't quite the same as my salon in Dubai, but hey, what did I expect? I was a tad bit concerned when she pulled out one of my bleached highlights and said to her sister, "Her natural hair?" She obviously hadn't seen too many blondes in her day.

The process took the entire day and involved a lot of questionable techniques, as far as I was concerned. Here are some visuals for you:

z1

There appears to be some concern on her face in this photo. That is my nervous smile.

z2

z3

Taken by a 14 year old Nepalese girl. I always LOVE it when the Nepalese take photos for me. It usually comes back with just the sky or sidewalk.

z4

The basin, a jug and two buckets.

The result:

9 hours of pulling and tugging

3 tubes of chemicals

10 sentences spoken and completely misunderstood

.30 cents for threading

30 dollars for rebonding treatment

z5

1 happy customer

4 comments:

Employee # 47851-6 said...

As a guy, who may follow suit of Axel (Woohoo shaved head) sometime in the near future, I say "Yay for awesome hair from a different country!"
Sounds fun, looks great!

Lori Ellsworth said...

Seriously, buckets on the floor? No sink? I can't believe you went through with it!! I would have just turned around.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous hair, Terah. I still remember your awesome curls from college, though. You know, Xavier looks just like you in those pictures. Karen

Bonnie said...

You are so brave. I have heard of threading. I even watched it on youtube.