Thursday, July 3, 2008

Telephone

Remember the game? I played it yesterday, only using different languages:

English - Axel called to tell me he won't be coming home at his usual 6pm. I needed to relay the message to my guards, otherwise they would be waiting for him at the front gate. Not knowing Nepali, I told Haleni.

z1 z2

Indonesian - When I told Haleni, I spoke in Indonesian. I told her that she needed to tell our new maid, Sureta, the message so she could tell the guards.

z3

Arabic - Suresta is Nepalese but she just arrived from working in Kuwait so she knew Arabic. Suresta doesn't know any English, just Arabic and Nepali. Haleni worked in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years so Haleni told Suresta in Arabic.

z4 z5

Nepali - Suresta then told our guard, who speaks nothing but Nepali, that Axel will be late and they won't need to wait for him at 6pm.

z7

At 6pm, no guard was waiting at the gate. Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

Boquinha said...

Wow! So tell us more about how you learn these languages. Do you study? Do you just pick it up from living there immersion style? Both?

Here at home said...

I thought maybe you were going to report that the communication lines got all mixed up and the guards were on the lookout for someone crazy or something.
I love it.

Paige said...

Totally cool. Next time, how about NO AXEL! If you say it 100 times, they may think he's dead, but at least they won't be waiting.