Monday, July 28, 2008

How to Tame a Parrot.

This is Axel again. When I was 12 or so my dad drove me to Detroit and we bought a blue and gold macaw. Back then the birds were mostly all wild caught, and Ben was forever pissed he somehow got caught in the wild. But I was able to train him to get on shoulders, and not bite. Well, not so much. It probably wasn't the best parrot to start with. Let me tell you getting bit by this beak wasn't fun and you can guess how quickly it could destroy my mom's wooden chairs (I am not sure she really ever liked that bird for some reason I'll never understand...).

Pupils dilated and cheeks red = biting time. This one is OK

Since then I have owned lots of birds.

There was Chico in Phoenix (a green cheeked amazon).





I LOVE these guys

If you knew us in Delaware you knew we kept a golden pheasant in the house that Heavah got for her birthday. These don't tame down, but they make up for with their beauty.

Plum-headed Parakeet

In Dubai I had a plum headed parakeet that was pretty but mean (and got eaten by a cat).

Now I am here and I have started with Vishnu who is an Alexandrine parakeet. I am hoping he is a male, here is how he will look if he is.

He has tamed down pretty well. Taming a bird is pretty easy. First thing you do is clip the wings. This doesn't hurt them but it makes the bird dependant on you.

y4

Then wrap them in a towel and just hold them. Start playing with their heads. They won't like it, but after a while they will calm down.

y3

After three or four towel sessions, slowly let them out but continue to hold them.

y2

After you can do that without getting bit all the time you are ready for stage two.

Sedona will show you about the next part getting them on your shoulder. They will feel safe there and it makes become accustom to you.

y1

You just have to make sure you are comfortable with them too because like I said, you might still get bit.

y10

And when it happens you have to not care. Not even register that it hurts you.

y11

You show the bird it is not a viable way for it to establish dominance. They understand you being in control and making them do what you want and not stopping because they bite. So as soon as they bite, get right back on the horse and hold them again.

y9

You have to get it to feel comfortable being on you. It might be scary, but you just have to do it.

y13

And after you do it, you can rest assured that you are the one in control and a brave little Indian.

y14

8 comments:

Cami Severson said...

Haha! This is a great blog! Poor Sedona, what a trooper!

Boquinha said...

I remember Chico!

Poor Sedona!! For what it's worth, I just pinched the top of my ear really hard with my fingernails to see what it felt like. I don't blame Sedona one bit.

Here at home said...

Way to go Sedona. I've had a bird do that to me, too. We had a few cockateels(sp) growing up.
Can you teach any of these birds to talk?

Simply Done Together said...

Brave liitle one.
I want to be just as brave as her.

Anonymous said...

Those are great shots of Sedona. Priceless.

shauna said...

I think I might rather fall off a horse.

Beautiful birds and beautiful baby!

Anna said...

I still use your raising children is like having a dog speech to my friends with dogs. They always become better parents. You're Dr Doolittle (and I'm not referring to your lack of house hold helping).

Boquinha said...

Um, may we please have your raising children is like having a dog speech on a post? When you're done unpacking, that is.