Thursday, July 10, 2008

Living Without

Before we left Dubai we were told that our stuff would arrive within 4 weeks. I was wise enough to know that the chances of that actually happening was as likely as me going to the movies tonight to watch the latest American box office hit. Thank goodness I didn't take their word for it, cause we are going on around 8 weeks now.

When we left, we each got a small suitcase to bring along. I packed a few things for the kids and then left it up to them what they wanted to bring along. We had chocolate chip cookies, DVDs (which we don't have a DVD player here or a TV), used colouring books, and jarred bugs. After some persuasion, I convinced them that maybe a few toys and a special blanket might be more practical. Persuasion tactics come in so handy during times like these.

The point is, we have been living out of these suitcases for the past two months. Hence, the reason why it always seems like we are wearing the same clothing in every picture I post. That is because we are wearing the same clothing in every picture (like here, and here, and here); however, there is a slight difference, each subsequent picture shows a dirtier version of the last. The clothing I brought for each child has become this: ridden with holes as a result of excessive scrubbing, covered in stains as a result of the Nepali environment and water, or way too small because my children have all decided to go through a growth spurt since our move. I don't even bother coordinating anymore. Why would I? Does the colour coordination compensate for the gaping hole next to the huge fertilizer stain and the tight fit? I tested it, and it doesn't.

Just yesterday Heavah asked, "Mom, what does my room look like? I forget." How sad. All the cherished items in her room have become a distant memory. This is the room that she has right now. She doesn't even sleep in it yet. She is in a bed with her brother in an equally empty, boring room:

z4

That is when I reminded her that it was really cute, and it will be even cuter when it arrives. When it arrives...if it arrives...

z2

Final snapshots before the movers arrived.

z3

The container is sitting in Calcutta (if I haven't mentioned that a billion times before, and I suspect I will be mentioning a few more times before this ordeal is over). The Ministry of Nepal can't figure out why someone would bring such a large amount of stuff into their country. They are sure it is for commerce and they are convinced that we are going to sell all the items once it arrives. Most expats who come to Nepal don't usually bring all their personal items (were talking old high school papers and letters from old boyfriends I don't even remember--why have I not thrown all that out??). Rarely does an expat send everything. It is the major perk for working for the business sector. You never really have a home, but your stuff will always remain the same. Thank you, AIG.

z1

Which brings me to my next thought...We have lived all this time without our stuff and yet, there are only a handful of things that I really, really miss: my bed, comfortable couch, carpets, sewing machine, printer, and trash can. The other stuff, quite frankly, I don't remember... So when you ask yourself if you really need it, my answer would probably be no.

The good news is, Nepal is the place to donate. In fact, in Dubai there was nary a DI or Goodwill around. Everything you wish to get rid of, you simply put it out on the street hoping that someone who might need it would pick it up before a sand storm swept it away. Everyone there is WAY too good for hand-me-downs. Here, there are a billion people in need, and they are all willing to take whatever you are willing to give. All my children's clothing, maternity clothing, toys, etc. will find a place where someone can really use it. It makes me not feel so bad when I think of how much it cost when I bought it new.

The funny thing is, the thought of everything arriving brings me two strong feelings: First, joy. Hurray! The kids will have toys to play with; and second, dread. Because I will have more responsibilities, more things to organize, and more projects calling out to me to finish. For example, all of these items require too much work:

Television and boxed TV series- As it sits there it always beckons to be watched. And once it is watched, it can't be left alone. Just one more show to find out if they actually get off the island this time. 'Stay tuned' just means that you have 2 more wasted hours ahead of you.

Toys - My children really only play with maybe a third of their toys. In fact, I haven't once heard them say, "I wish my ___ toy was here." Therefore, it doesn't even exist in their minds. You can bet that I will get a good couple weeks of nonstop play once our stuff arrives; but after that, it is just a way of cluttering my floor, and a painful reminder of how spoiled my kids really are.

z1

Our current playroom

Instead, these are my kids favourite toys:

z3

z2

Clothes - I have a wide range of clothing from nonpregnancy (or otherwise known as 'normal'), just-barely pregnant, pregnancy nonmaternity, pregnancy maternity, full-on maternity, a couple weeks after post pregnancy, post pregnancy that isn't quite 'normal' yet, and finally back to normal. If you break it down, that is 7 different wardrobes because there isn't a stage that you shouldn't look fabulous--especially when you are pregnant. The good news is, I am done with expanding waistlines and I hope to stay the same as I am now. Therefore, I have 6 wardrobes I can donate. You can bet I will be sizing up everyone I meet to see if they qualify for wardrobe #2, or maybe wardrobe #4.

Accessories - I don't mind a good 'dress up' every now and then, which require the ornate details. I especially love wearing something authentic that was bought on a small dirt road in central America, or wherever. But to be truthful, are there aren't enough days in the year to wear each bangle and necklace. Therefore, I must keep what is adorable (I mean, 'Wow, that is so cute' adorable, not 'Um, nice earrings' adorable) and give away anything that seems like it was bought at Claires.

Shoes - Never cared for shoes. Never splurged on a pair in my life. I always thought the search for fantastic shoes was a waste of time and a waste of money. I can totally relate to this blogger. Unless the shoes have a cool story behind them like, 'I bought these in the South African desert while searching for Zebras' . I don't care so much so that I glaze over whenever someone tells me about the fantastic pair they found at Dillards for an amazing 20 bucks. I figure that was 19 bucks too much to spend on shoes. Plus, my shoes will just be tromping through poop and garbage anyways, how could I possibly care?

These are just a few of the things that are waiting in India for me right now. Why can't I hire a sorter to go through all the stuff and get rid of anything I've forgotten about? It all requires more brain power than I am willing to give.

So, I can complain all I want about the fact that my family of 6 has lived out of a few small suitcases for the past two months, but I can't complain about the liberation I feel from not having too much stuff, or feeling the responsibility of going through all my crap.

Less really is more.

5 comments:

Lena said...

I "see" you over on Stacy's blog and thought I'd follow you over here to check out your blog! What a great post. I think I need a couple of months like that so I can get rid of a few things. I have to tell you how much I loved the writer's strike and how much I love the summer months in between shows. I am dreading fall when everything I like to watch starts up again and I will be sucked into wasting my time. I wish I had the will power to just toss the tube. But alas, we love to watch movies and play a video game together now and again so that probably will not happen. At least we haven't ordered cable! That's one nice things about being on a tight budget, lol.

Anyway- I enjoyed reading so I'll probably be stalking you now ;)

Boquinha said...

Lena! YAY! Terah, Lena is someone we haven't yet met in person but we have all sorts of quirky things in common (like her comment) :P and I love that she's here. We're both homeschooling moms and enjoy blogging and our occassional TV pleasure! :P Fun to see you here, Lena!

Here at home said...

So, we are looking at moving sometime soon. Don't know for sure. It's really got me thinking about all the stuff we have and what I want to get rid of. I am seriously ready to get rid of everything. I'm thinking I don't need most of it. I don't want to have to deal with the headache of moving it. You have just inspired me even more to get rid, get rid, get rid. Thanks. Great post.

Anonymous said...

It really is true, less is more. My kids have so much crap, I really should purge their closets. Kids can live of so much less than they have and be just as happy. Karen

Bonnie said...

Yeah, you have got my sister Sharon all bent on selling everything she has now, so she doesn't have to move it! Really though, I loved this post. I am going to be moving here in the next month and have thought a lot about how I am going to get rid of half of my stuff too! Great post!