Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Staycation Pastimes


Where else can you see a gigantor carrort? Only Doha, I say.

Our trip to Jordan was botched. We showed up at the airport packed and excited only to find out there was no plane to take us to our destination. The next flight didn't leave until 24 hours later. That was the day we were going to spend in Petra. Going to Jordan and no Petra? Why even bother. Instead, we had a lovely staycation in beautiful Doha.

Asa doing the victory dance 10 minutes before his ball even reached the pins

Part of our fun was spent playing cosmic bowling. Who doesn't love throwing a neon ball down a lane? Asa won for the slowest bowl and grandma won for the most gutter bowls. In fact, the Camilleri gene pool is seriously lacking in bowling skills. We all remained on the bottom of the list with or without a bumper.


We visited the new Cultural Center in Doha. There was a vivid and candid Africa-in-Pictures exhibit. One third of the exhibit displayed landscape, another third displayed poverty and famine, and the rest displayed boobies. Some of the photos were moving, some were shocking, and some were disturbing. You can guess which ones were which.

The Cultural Center also has an Islamic Art exhibit. Two of my favorite works are displayed here with the addition of my two kids for added beauty and quirkiness...


The animal souq was a must during our staycation. Axel attempted to make a strong case for purchasing another pet. Every man needs a parrot according to him. His iPad doesn't need to be fed or pet, therefore it is not a real present. I tried to show him the Talking Tomcat app, but he is not quite convinced.

Skating was a popular activity to pass the time. Grandma attempted to skate for the first time in her life. After admitting this, I was sure the secret Canadian police were going to take away her passport. She made up for it by learning very quickly and only falling once.

Sedona was a close second when it came to picking up the sport. She maneuvered her little body with such steadiness and concentration I couldn't help but constantly squeeze and kiss her, ultimately making her fall flat on her butt. There is pain in cuteness. My children are all just going to have to live with that reality.


Heavah and Xavier were the best of friends on the ice. Xavier is showing some serious skating skills, thanks to his devotion to hockey. Heavah is crippled when on the ice. The idea of falling is catastrophic. For once, she is dependent on her little brother and he took his job very seriously. He's an expert after all.

Just before Grandpa left Doha, he got to see Xay practice hockey at the Villaggio. Grandpa even gave Xay expert advice. Who knew you had to have both hands on the stick at all times? I didn't. I am a useless sportsmom.

Of all the things we did on our staycation, the best part was the grandma & grandpa time. Even floating in the Dead Sea can't compare.

5 comments:

Dianna said...

Oh, that just stinks that you didn't make it to Jordan. It looks like you made the best of it though. I love the hand holding with brother and sister picture. That is so sweet. It is just shocking that your mom has never skated before! :) It sounds like her Canadian skills kicked in though. Hey, tell Axel we have two birdies looking for a good home . . .

Boquinha said...

Plus, your parents are awesome. How old is your mom anyway? Every time I see her on your blog, she is doing yoga or ice skating or doing some kind of adventure sport. I'm 36 but already hoping to follow her lead as I get older -- I think of her a lot and admire her adventurous spirit and youthful approach to everything!

I see Xay is still posing for pictures by crossing his eyes. :P

Megan said...

Oh I am glad you had a good time anyways! Bummer though! Maybe you will just have to go to Jordan...hmmmm...next month! :) Dona looks like she has grown a ton! All your kids are so darn cute!

Ryan and Brindi said...

how fun. glad you made the best of your canceled trip. your kids are the cutest. xavier and heavah look like little twins in that skating picture.

diplobrisco said...

I'm glad you live there instead of flying there to see the large carrot. That would definitely not be on the top of my list if I were visiting somewhere. LOL !!