Wednesday, January 26, 2011

When Life Gives You Lemons....

During the winter break Heavah was desperate for things to do. She was also anxious to make a little cash. Economics are dawning on her and she is ready to play the game. After a long brainstorm session she decided to start selling lemonade.

Below you can see her 5 sample cups. She feels one must try the product before he or she commits. She also conducted a focus group to decide what a cup of lemonade was worth. She went from 5 Riyals ($1.50) down to 2 Riyals (.50 cents) per cup--much to her dismay.
.

Her final challenge was finding customers. It wasn't until she moved her picnic kiosk to the clubhouse that she really made hard cold cash. 500 Riyals ($150. USD) to be exact. It helps to have wealthy expat neighbors who have a soft spot for cute white girls.

Since the lemonade stand Heavah held a yard sale for all the clothing I was going to donate. She is also brewing up an idea for a cookie business. She is ready to go, but I am not sure I can commit. She plans on visiting the neighbors, providing samples, and taking orders. It is serious business.

Heavah's goal? An iPhone.

That's a whole lotta lemons and cookies. * iPhones in the Middle East are approximately $950. USD. And yet, we are closer to China. Hummm.....

2 comments:

Dianna said...

You might tell Heavah about a sales strategy that my brother and I tried when sales were slow. I made him wear some old clothes and we ripped them. Then he put dirt on his face and arms and he sat out by the lemonade stand looking to be what we thought was a very poor - almost homeless - little boy. We were going for the pity sale. And where did I sit? Behind the bushes on the porch of course. I didn't want to get dirty!

Hearts and Hands for Nepal said...

what? I NEED to set up a lemonade stand! I could get a new pair of shoes. Good going Heavah! She's a little business woman.