I know I have mentioned maybe once...okay, maybe twice...okay, constantly, that we are art starved in our wee little country of Qatar. Apparently someone with real power in Qatar subscribes to my website because it appears that they are actually trying to provide venues for art. I am sure it is the Sheik himself, he loves to read about my potty training woes and how much I love Nepal more than his country. Hello there...while you are reading Mr. Thani...please get rid of more roundabouts and provide more beach areas. Sincerely, TerahAlthough the new initiative is noble, and greatly appreciated, I must admit the last instillation of the Doha Contemporary Art Museum kind of missed the mark in my books. Our group was very excited, including my 4 year old daughter. The ardor and fervor gradually diminished after we went deeper and deeper into the cold wearhouse of doom.
There were several confusing exhibits that must be beyond my understanding. I will be the first to admit that contemporary art isn't my absolute favorite, but I think this surpassed the point of taste and entered a world of sheer bizarreness. Due to a strict rule of 'no click, click' (exact words of the security guard) I was unable to get the best photographs. These photos are done on the sly, thanks to my tiny camera and devious ways.

Sedona refused to entire the blade room. Don't you know that sharp edges can hurt? She's my cautious child.
This room was the saw room. The sound was as sharp and piercing as the blades themselves. Each blade was inscribed with Quran verses. This exhibit had some hope for me, I interpreted the blades as a penetrative device that can pierce and allow the words of the Quran to seep within one's soul. No bad, eh? I obviously missed the point completely. In the description, there was no discussion of the Quran at all and instead it represented how technology has developed throughout time, blah, blah...blah, blah...blah, blah blah.

According to Grandma, she is holding his hand, not attempting to reach for anything else as it may appear in this photo.
This one was probably the one that influenced me the most. It was called 7 Jews to 1 Palestinian. I am not sure where they came up with that ratio but the premise is that if you stand in the middle you can not see both sides. In other words, whose side are you on? Why they are in their Calvin Klein underwear, I do not know.
There were many more exhibits like a petrol can home with a video of a man rolling a petrol can with his foot, a military vessel dressed with strawberry and tomato plants, photos of modern depictions of Christ, statues of horses pierced with arrows, a human sized sling shot room, and a car demolition room with the sweet sounds of crushing metal and broken glass. Sedona was a tad bit traumatized by the entire experience. She was hesitant to turn corners or veer off on her own. She held her daddy's hand the entire time. She spoke of her uneasiness and her desire to leave--like now.


As soon as she came home she described the entire experience in detail to her brothers. Asa was extremely intrigued and demanded to go to the scary place where blood flows from the ceiling. Where else are you going to be able to see that?
7 comments:
Wow! Your description is the perfect narrative for the museum because if you can't laugh about the Middle East . . . . well, you know. Now I might not have to go and endure it for myself.
So what did Axel think of the museum? I will never forget what Tim and I thought of some of his creations. We were...speechless. LOL!!!! We thought Axel was very.........creative. :D
They need to open this around october and charge as a haunted house. That blood from the ceiling is pretty hardcore.
Wow. How . . . disturbing? Interesting? Modern art? You are brave (or crazy) to post about it. I sense a restlessness about you -- time for a move perhaps? ;)
Stacy, there is always time for a move. I wish it would work that way. Sadly, we may be here for a while. Boo hop.
Oops! That should say 'boo hoo'. Darn autocorrect. I can't even cry correctly!
LOL, Terah! You'll get a kick out of these, then (warning -- many of these would likely offend some people): Damn You Auto Correct!
Post a Comment