Ever since I have been working with a humanitarian organization I have come to realize how much help is needed here. Whenever I walked through the streets of Thamel, I would encounter a great number of homeless kids, sniffing glue and looking for some cash. I would go through waves of feeling disgusted to feeling complete despair. I also couldn't justify to my kids why I couldn't give them something. Heavah would say, 'But why mom? They are hungry.' Big question for a little girl. The answer seemed so simple to her. Ugh, what to do?
A few weeks ago I awoke from a dream and it was like a lightbulb turned on. Ah, ha!
I got cookies, juice boxes, rice, dal, candy, and noodles and for Family Home Evening and we assembled food packs. All the kids got involved and we watched one of those 'Living Scriptures' videos, which are fab for a six and five year old. We packed all the food in the coveted paper bag (cause I knew my parents would bring me more from Canada) and we put several packs in the car to be handed out.
Now, whenever we are out and about, I have something to give. We even pass a 'begging section' on the way to church every Saturday and the kids pass the packs out the window. It is awesome and the kids LOVE doing it.
Assembling the packs
Heavah on rice and dal duty
Sedona and Asa being no help at all. They just tried to consume ALL of the candy while the rest of us were preoccupied.
Xavier on noodle duty
The finished product
Getting ready to hand the bags out
Although it is small, we are making a dent.
3 comments:
Awesome, Terah. Though I don't know how you get ANYthing done with that cute baby around to squeeze and squeeze.
What a great family home evening project! I have never witnessed the kind of poverty you are seeing. It seems like you have picked the optimal way to get involved.
Just wanted to say that I am still following your blog. It is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I love reading about them. I might steal your FHE idea, though we might offend someone if we pull up beside them and try to hand them a bag of food out the window here. LOL Might just take it to the food bank.
Post a Comment