Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ramadan Kareem

The day after we arrived in Doha, Ramadan began.  Ramadan is the holiest month for Muslims who begin fasting from sun up to sun down.  The month includes a lot of prayer and refrain from immodest or irreverent activities. It is a time to focus on Allah and take one's mind off of worldly influences.  I love the principles of Ramadan.  I respect the Muslims greatly for taking on the fast for an entire month.  I find it hard to fast for one day a month. 

Ramadan in a Muslim country is interesting for the following reasons:

* Although Muslims fast during the day, most actually gain weight during Ramadan. The iftar (evening break of fast) buffet at most restaurants are elaborate and delicious.  I can see why it happens.  Whenever we visit these buffets, I eat like I have been fasting all day.  Does that count?
 
* You can be fined if you are seen eating or drinking in public.  This was especially hard when I was pregnant and nursing during the two Ramandans in Dubai.  There was a lot of sneaking food in the car and discretely chewing.  You know how hard it is to discretely chew?  Somehow the food doesn't taste the same.   

* All the stores are closed during fasting hours.  If you want to buy anything, you must wait till the sun goes down.  Most malls are open from 8pm to 1 or 2 am.  

* There is no traffic.  The city seems like a ghost town during the day.

* Work and school hours change significantly.  Axel's Ramadan hours are 8am - 2pm.  But his Blackberry hours are 24/7.

* Children often are kept up till the wee hours of the morning and wake around 4 am for the feast before the fast.  

To be truthful, this wasn't the best time to arrive in Doha.  Things move a lot slower during Ramadan.  Buying a car?  Forget it unless you want to shop between 7am to 10am.  Finding a house to rent?  Nah, realtors are sleeping when you want to view the place.  Completing your visa?  No way.    Typing and filing out forms is tough on an empty stomach.  How about driving around and seeing the sites with the kids?  Not unless you do it when the kids have just eaten.  No restaurants are open, and if you pack the food, you can't be seen eating it.  I understand, but it is tough to do a thing in this city.

As frustrating as it is to get anything done in the Middle East during Ramadan, there is something special about devoting an entire month to God.  The idea is, all the errands can wait, and we need to remember who our maker is.  There is a calmness that exists in this city.  You can feel that more people are praying and Muslims are working together to become more faithful and devoted to Allah.  It is a cool thing to see a store owner reading his Koran during the day doing his best to get closer to God.  It is something we can all learn from.  

2 comments:

Boquinha said...

Very cool Ramadan post/perspective. Thank you.

terahreu said...

Stacy - Thanks. Ramadan has it good points and bad. I try to think of the good so I don't get too frustrated with the bad.

Summer - I agree in many ways, but I guess it is just to respect those who are fasting. Kind of like not feeding kids during sacrament meeting. Discretion is the key when you are pregnant and nursing. It is not easy to not drink in public in the middle of the summer.