It appears there are only two options for housing in Doha. We either go for a compound or a 'stand alone'. Both options are pricey (around 10K USD for rent a month), Doha is not a cheap place to live. It has been a very difficult decision for Axel and me because both options have good points and bad. For example:

Stand Alone
Positives
- More square footage for your buck
- Bigger yard (not by much)
- Fewer rules
- Autonomy
- Extra home for maids and drivers
Negatives
- Slow response to needs
- Solidarity
- No gym (access to gyms in Qatar are limited)
- Strange architecture
- No pool
- No services
Compound
Positives
-Pool (at a distance), gym, laundry services, restaurants, tennis courts, etc.
- Instant friends for the children
- Sense of community
- Close Westerners
- Community gatherings
- Safety/gated
- Roads to play on
- Immediate services
- Western architecture and appliances
Negatives
- Close proximity to others (nosy neighbors)
- Smaller homes
- Instant enemies for the children
- Free reign for children on the streets (I foresee serious shenanigans)
- 'Bubble living' (separation from local culture)
It took us a month, but we have decided where we will live. Axel found our house on his own, and the minute I visited the place I knew it was the right place for us. We move in tomorrow. I will tell you what we settled on when I finally take pictures.
I am sure the suspense is killing you.

7 comments:
it is, it is!! which did you choose?? they both are BEAUTIFUL! i'm guessing a stand-alone so i'll have to check in if i'm right.
Are they seriously $10,000 a month or is that a typo? It seems like you could rent MJ's old mansion in the states for that much. Qatar better be awesome! And yes, I'm looking forward to the pictures and decision.
My guess is stand alone, too.
I'm waiting for pictures of your place. Come on!
You are so adventurous! I would have totally gone for the compound. I essentially have one of those here in Utah, and I have to say that I am addicted. It will be so cool to see your home though :0)
I'm going with stand alone...you guys seem all about the authentic experience...i don't know how bubble living would be for you. i'd be afraid you'd bore of it quickly....to north american-ish
although that being said there is much to be said for the compound....i'd feel a little more normal as opposed to the whole fish outta water thing.
whatever you choose it will be an adventure!
What a choice, I don't know what I would do. I have to tell you I've been reading your blog here and there for most of this year. I really enjoy peaking in and learning from your family's experiences. Thanks so much for sharing.
Post a Comment