My friend lately
In the meanwhile, I am enjoying the time that I have had without the maid. There are setbacks, but I realized I really do like to clean and organize. The other thing I have discovered is that I am a damn fine cook. I hadn't cooked a meal in a couple of years. The odd time I would teach my cook a particular dish but I would basically instruct her and she would do all the messy stuff. For a while there, my cooking abilities were in question.
Not anymore. All my kids have gushed over every meal I have made since we have been here. It could also be because they are eating beef again. Beef never tasted so good. It also doesn't take much to eat better than we were while living in Nepal. Something other than rice and dahl is a delicacy in this household. I was surprised that I was daunted by cooking before I arrived in Doha. Really, how hard can cooking be? It is a matter of following instructions, right? I suppose the idea is to find the right instructions. That is why I am so thankful I have some knock-out-of-the-park recipes like this one:
Mango Salsa
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
2 ripe mangoes, peeled seeded, and diced
1 fresh red pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, diced
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used lemon because limes can't be found here)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon minced green onion
Saute onion in olive oil or butter until lightly browned. Toss all ingredients together gently. Serve with tortilla chips. It is also great on chicken or fish.
Now that I know I can cook, I am ready to be done.
2 comments:
I highly recommend Allrecipes.com. :) And congrats.
Ohhh thanks! I will have to try that one.
Post a Comment