Here is a brief overview of what is part of our diet here in Nepal...
Milk
I think because of the Hindu 'Holy Cow' belief, they can't bare to round up a million cows and use them for their dairy. (We are talking about a country where the cows have the right away in city traffic, not the people). Therefore, there is a significant lack of dairy products here. I didn't realize how much I loved cheese and yogurt until I had no chance of really finding it.
Here is the milk that we use. It sits in our pantry for weeks until it is ready to be opened. I lived in Romania and Croatia and during that time, I never once opened a 'boxed milk'. Axel always tried to convince me that it wasn't so bad but I was headstrong and the gross factor was way too high in my books. Now, over 9 years later, I have given into using boxed, unrefridgerated milk on a daily basis. I am so converted that Axel found some fresh milk nearby and that I would not drink. In a bag, on ice? Nah, ah.
Yogurt
This is the only stuff I can find that remotely resembles real yogurt. Again, you buy this stuff unrefridgerated and you can even take it from a communal container. I splurge a little and buy the one that is in its own container. Cause I am a little snobby like that.
This isn't so bad if you blend up some mango, strawberries, or whatever is to your liking and mix it with this 'sweetened' stuff. It is not quite like my favourite Yoplait Thick and Creamy yogurt, but it will have to do.
Eggs
I knew our chickens would come in handy. Everyday, we get an egg out of our hen and, what do you know, it tastes the same as all other eggs I have eaten. It almost makes it worth waking at the butt crack of dawn from the loud rooster's cock-a-doodle-doo.
I said almost...
Fruit and Vegetables
If it is in season, you can find it. If not, it is like trying to find an English song on the radio. (It ain't going to happen). We have plenty of produce at our home but it is also fun to barter on the streets.
Mangos and lychees
Typical fruit vendor
Here is part of our garden. It is full force right now and gives us plenty of stuff for our typical stirfrys.
This is our squash that had latched on to our peach tree.
Dal
No real Nepali meal is complete without dal. It is the staple food here and our maid, Kopila, makes it every night. The kids love it, I enjoy it, and Axel hates it. It is a seed of some kind and I hear it is an excellent source of protein. Although Axel and I love Indian food we also both agree that it all just looks like various shades of poop. Dal is the yellow kind. However, if you close your eyes and try it, it is quite tasty.
MoMos
A close second to dal is the national Nepali food, The MoMo. If you take a Nepalese person to a restaurant, they want momos; if you invite them for dinner, they want momos; if you go to the grocery store to buy food, they buy momos. I admit, they are tasty but their obsession for the momo baffles me. They also have a way of telling if the momo is good or poorly made. I have yet to figure it out. I have had momos that cost 50 cents for a dozen, and I have had momos that cost $3 a dozen (which is expensive for Nepal). They taste the same, it is a momo.
The Nepalese people love the momo so much they have a momo mascot, you know, kind of like Ronald McDonald.
The momo man
I do enjoy my momo every now and then. They come in veg, chicken or buff (as in buffalo). Not a bad snack, just not every day, every meal, all the time--thank you.
Now that I have shared with you what is on the menu, do you still want to come over for dinner?
11 comments:
I can't eat cottage cheese cause it looks like puke...don't think i will be trying dal anytime soon!!!
I'm coming! I love all this stuff! Thought I haven't tried momos. It seems every culture has their own version of a dumpling. My husband is drooling with memories of his mission in India :)
Yes I will still be coming but I will bring the milk, butter, cheese, yogurt and even the eggs (because one just isn't enough).
You never cease to amaze me. Thanks so much for sharing.
I love learning all of this stuff! The boxed milk freaked me out the whole time I lived in Europe. I could only eat it on cereal and only if it had been in the fridge for a long time.
I do love Indian food, but I kind of don't recognize what we get here in any of your pictures. Maybe I love Americanized Indian food.
P.S. For us readers (stalkers) who hooked on to you from Page and Celia and aren't up to date. What does Axel do that takes you so far away? Will you ever bring your family back to North America?
Another totally interesting post. And yes, we are coming for dinner, even though we don't know you at all!
I love Dal. It's made from lentils (or at least, that's how I make it). I had an Indian neighbor who invited me over for Dal and made it in 20 minutes with her pressure cooker. One time she forgot to downgrade the spices and my lips almost fell off. Delicious. My husband (who loves Indian food) also hates it.
UHT milk/shelf milk is something I learned to love when we lived in France. I am amazed that it is still not used here in the states.
I also loved your house/home post. It was interesting to read and I am so impressed at all the work you guys did! Plus, the surprise ending was great.
I certainly wont eat the dal in that picture!!I love dal; I guess it depends on how its cooked. At our home, it looks wholesome (still looks like lentils) and the curry isnt so thick its watery. Maybe your maid shouldnt grind/ mash it up too much ;)
I have read your blog for a while after I found it on Celia/Paige's. I will de-lurk. Is Mo-mo like a pot-sticker?
Pardon my ignorance...is your husband in foreign service for the Gov't? What an amazing life you are having, I don't know honestly if I could do it! But wonderful for you!!!
Well I love all foods, so bring it on. Your market experience sounds a lot like Vietnams. Eric loves to barter. Not me. I am willing to pay more, but in some cultures that is considered rude. As for milk products in Vietnam, there are plenty. I think they add a little something special to sweeten it up. It makes for sweeter pancakes. Pearce would know. He eats them every morning.
My husband also served a mission Vietnamese speaking in Vancouver Canada. Where did Axel serve his mission?
Okay, dal is lentils, not seeds. Shows how much I ate it before I moved here! We usually have it more watery than the one in the picture, I just found that photo from the net.
Why are we here???? That seems like a great reason for another post. Coming soon, I promise.
Mmmmm, boxed Milk. Drank that all the time in Europe.
"I didn't realize how much I loved cheese and yogurt until I had no chance of really finding it."
Yep, that was me in Africa. I got island fever so badly that at one point I had a slight breakdown. It's documented in my journal. I believe I burst into an uncharacteristic frenzied cry of, "I WANT CHEESE!!! I WANT CHEESE!!!" while I rocked on the side of a street. :P
I love that picture of you bartering. You look great!
Momos look like gyoza. And yes please--we'd love to come for dinner!
Comment moderation is enabled now--did you get spammed?
Post a Comment