Our stuff made quite the trek to arrive in Kathmandu. It went through the following:
1. Loaded in Dubai
2. Shipped to Calcutta, India
3. Sat in Calcutta for a couple of months, while a lot of paperwork had to be processed
4. Reloaded on another truck and moved to the Nepali border
5. Opened and assessed by the Nepali customs
6. Send to Ring Road in Kathmandu
7. Reloaded several times over on two small trucks
8. Delivered to our home
Every step of this process we were given an update, and every step of this process I thought it would be a miracle of all miracles if it all actually made it to Nepal in one piece. The good news is that what we lost during our move was minimal. The bad news is the things we lost are really expensive and difficult to find in Kathmandu.
Despite the fact that there was basically a neon sign on it's box stating !!!!FRAGILE!!!!, our plasma TV was not only bashed, but permanently damaged. We searched the entire city over and it is clear that Nepal does not carry Hitatchi. Not only that, but plasma TVs are a rare find. I took it as a sign that we should continue our TV free life, but then we stumbled upon a Samsung store. Only 30 minutes later we are now owners of a new Samsung plasma TV. I guess not having cable will have to do.
Axel's X-Box 360 did not make the trip to Kathmandu in perfect form either. In fact, the less than two year old time-sucker ended up rocking and rolling so much that it no longer turns on. There was a silent "Hurray" and backflips done within me but I gave my most sincere "That is really horrible sweetie, I am so sorry!" Apparently, I should have made it more obvious of my disdain for the mind numbing machine because in less than two weeks, there is a new one sitting in our entertainment unit. I am not even sure where Axel found it, I guess if you are determined to find an X-Box 360 in Kathmandu that badly, you deserved to have one.
A few of our dining room chairs were suffering before we left for Nepal but there were still a couple that functioned just fine. As fate would have it, the two perfect chairs are now more 'imperfect ' than the ones that were damaged before. Therefore, I am on the hunt to find someone who can repair these chairs to make our set complete (Oh, and avoid anyone falling off or through the middle of the chair while visiting. Care to come for dinner?)
Finally, a butt load of glass is now in crumbles at the bottom of a box somewhere. This is when Home Depot or Target would come in handy. That way I could easily replace the frames and dishes that are now worthless. Instead, I will be running around the city trying to find a poor replacement. Such is moving, such is life.
Overall, the most important things made it here just fine. Which, knowing what our stuff when through to get here, goes to show that miracles do happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment